Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhighlandhome

Fall 2011 Plant Swap

ourhighlandhome
12 years ago

Hi all,

Well...we might as well start negotiations! Looking at the calendar, any of the five consecutive Saturdays of September the 17th & 24th and October the 1st, 8th & 15th seem like good dates.

The "Tide" & "Tigers" either play insignificant games during that time, or games of great interest that will probably be televised no sooner than 2:30pm, giving us dyed-in-the-wool fans time to rush back to TV Land.

And, depending on the weather (and who does?) these dates offers us reasonable time to get our plant trades established in the ground for winter, although many choose to keep them potted until Spring. The latter dates might offer us a cooler, more enjoyable day. It's always a "toss-up", isn't it :-)

It seems as if Oak Mountain State Park is the hands-down favorite as the location based upon the majority of opinions, and being more centrally located for the majority of attendees. It also offers so much more recreation for those who want to make a day of it. And remember, the pavilion is "ours" for the entire day, so don't feel compelled to leave after the swap & lunch is over. Bring your kids, pets...whatever, just keep your kids on a leash ;-)

For our Spring swap we rented the smallest available pavilion ($40.00), which I thought was sufficient, especially with the good weather and the additional lawn chairs everyone brought. If we go to the next "level" the price will be $80.00. Ya'll decide and we'll come up with a payment plan ;-)

If we decide on a $40.00 pavilion soon enough we might be able to secure the "Honeysuckle", which is lakeside! Either way we need to make a decision soon so we can call ahead to see what's available for the amount of money we want to spend.

I think the beginning time of 10:00am is pretty established, even though I have tirelessly lobbied for a starting time which coincides with "Happy Hour". My proposal has not been met with overwhelming success; lukewarm, but not overwhelming ;-)

And then there's the food. We have access to a grill (and "Thanks!" again, Scott, for being our last "grill master"). Freshly-cooked burgers & 'dogs work for most (or ribs, BBQ, meatloaf - anything that can be cooked or re-heated sufficiently over a grill). And we all look forward to the many homemade "covered dishes" and salads that are enjoyed so much. This past Spring Jan started a separate thread entitled "What's for Lunch?", which was a great idea. How 'bout it Jan?

So...let's start the "dance". Hopefully we can all invite someone new or from the past (especially those with neat stuff ;-) People who garden are amongst the most kind & generous folks in the world, and I know we all look forward to meeting new friends, along with the old, familiar faces.

"Thanks!" in advance to everyone who pitches in and makes this an event to look forward to. I'm outta here for now.....

Time: 10:00 until the park closes at sundown

Date: ?

Pavilion size/location: ?

Food: ?

Additional ideas: ?

Comments (23)

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In past years, the swap threads suggest that things lean very heavily toward houseplants and ornamentals. True?

• Jackie McCarty
    12 years ago

Anybody still hear from Debbie? She had the neatest STUFF!

I don't I'll be there. I'm still working on getting the yard tamed enough to walk around in. It will be a while before I actually have many flowers.

Jackie :)

• Jackie McCarty
    12 years ago

ha. that should have said, "I don't THINK I'll be there." guess i was tired lol...

• lsmcw
    12 years ago

Works for me. Someone choose a date

• jjackson1375
    12 years ago

Hello everyone! I'm not sure I will be able to attend the swap in the fall, but I have a few succulents that I need to rehome. If anyone is interested please text me at
    205-585-3 eight zero 0. I have aged plants that produce "pups". I can no longer care for them and they deserve a good home. Please let me know if you are interested. FREE to good homes!

Thanks, Jamie
    jjackson1375@yahoo.com

• browneyedsusan_gw
    12 years ago

Any Saturday in Sept or early October would be fine. If later, all perennials will start to look ratty and unappealing, also new plants need time to settle in before it gets really cold. I will be there.

Susan

• catbird
    12 years ago

Nelson: Thanks for getting this started. Oak Mountain is great with me and any of those Saturdays suits me fine. Just to get the discussion started, I'll suggest October 1, the middle date of those you mentioned. I vote to go for the larger pavilion. The smaller one was fine because the weather was great, but if there had been any rain things wouldn't have been very pleasant. It shouldn't cost more than $10 each, and less if we all bring someone. We might pick up a few newbies from this area.

Nichole: Don't be constrained by what people have brought in the past. Someone will take most anything that grows. Some of the swappers need plants that are hardy in North Alabama (Z 7) and some prefer tropicals. Some like houseplants, others don't want to fool with them. Just bring whatever you have.

• tedevore
    12 years ago

I'm planning to make it this time. October 1 sounds good to me.

Todd

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    12 years ago

October 1.. larger pavillion in case of unpredictable weather and more folks join in. sounds great! I for one like both indoor and outdoor plants. pots or free to seed also work for me just don't ask DH. He thinks I have too much, silly dear.... now to start a swap thread! Woo Hoo!

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll call OMSP tomorrow to see if one of the three, 40-person, $80. pavilions are available on October 1st (the Bluebird, Bluejay and Cardinal). I'll post my findings here tomorrow night.

Y'all can click on the link below for a layout of the park & pavilions for an idea as to where those locations are. My preference would be the 'Cardinal' (#16), since it looks like it would offer a view of the lake. Thoughts?

Nelson

Here is a link that might be useful: Park / Pavilion Layout

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alright gang, the 'Cardinal' pavilion is ours, all day, October the 1st. Below is part of an e-mail I received from the park after confirmation:

Thank you for making your reservation with Oak Mountain State Park. Enclosed is your confirmation information. We have reserved 1 Cardinal room type, arriving on 10/01/11 and departing on 10/02/11. Your total for the rental of the pavilion is $80.00, that will be charged 20 days from your scheduled event. The payment for the Pavilion is non refundable after this payment date. We will try and reschedule your event on a different date.

Arrivial time for the pavilions is 9:00 am.

Departure time is 1 hour before sunset.

We require a 5 day cancellation notice to reschedule your pavilion rental for a different date.

If you have any special needs or request, please give us a call before your arrival. We are committed to making your stay at Oak Mountain State Park a pleasant one.
    If you would like to contact us on your current or future reservations, please call (205) 620-2520

Sincerely,

The staff and management of Oak Mountain State Park.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    12 years ago

woo hoo! We live close but we may have to bring some camping gear! thank you for getting this together so far in advance. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Peggy

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Being so close to the marina, it will be awfully hard to not rent a paddle-boat or canoe to meander around in the lake with, or just enjoy lying my fat butt on the beach...but now I'm getting hungry. What's for lunch?!

Maybe a hike to Peavine Falls would be in order afterwards??

Michelle, Scott & Chris, bring the dogs this time!!

See y'all there!

• lsmcw
    12 years ago

Yeah ! Thanks Nelson for making the arrangements. I'll start a new post for the food. Linda

• catbird
    12 years ago

Nelson: You're a jewel. Thanks! Now if it will just cool off so we can start digging and potting plants.

• plantcrazy222
    12 years ago

Have some of what I call red/purple leaf canna's w/ red flower already potted. Will try to pot some other things up.

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

An update:

I've contacted "Coffee News", the 11" x 17" brown "newspaper" that is offered at many business counter-tops, and they are going to run a free ad for our event. Be sure to pick one up if it's available locally and let javaman58@bellsouth.net know how much we appreciate the free advertisement.

We should, hopefully, be able to pick up some new members this way. If anyone else can think of a way to get us "out there" it would certainly be appreciated. The more the merrier!

On another note, I have contacted Terry Smith's daughter, Robyn, and she would like to attend the Fall swap, maybe with Terry's wife, Sylvia. Terry was, of course, the "founder" of the CAPS, who died tragically in December of last year. No one will be disappointed in meeting Terry's family; they are a carbon-copy of him.

And BTW, I've updated my exchange page if anyone would like to take a look. The recent rain has improved my "outlook" ;-)

Hoping eveyone is well, and looking forward to seeing ya'll soon.....

Nelson

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A copy of our ad:

Hi Mr. Schiermann,

Thanks for responding so quickly to my inquiry regarding the placing of a notice in the "What's Happening" section of the "Coffee News". I have placed word of your generosity in my post on GardenWeb informing everyone of "CN", and hope we'll all respond by asking our local establishments to not only offer it, but to consider doing business with those who advertise on it's pages.
    Kindly consider including the following in the next volume:
    --------------------------------
    Oct. 1 - Central Alabama Plant Swap; Oak Mtn. State Park from 10am until, at the Cardinal Pavilion. We swap anything garden related, from live plants to compost, driftwood, mulch, river rock, garden "junk" - even homemade goods. But we mostly have a good time and establish friendships based upon our love of gardening. Lunch is potluck, so bring your favorite dish to share. A donation of $1 to $2 toward pavilion rental is appreciated. For more information e-mail: ourhighlandhome@aol.com.
    ---------------------------------

Hope this meets with everyone's approval. Look for it in the next volume of "Coffee News", and let Mr. Mike Schiermann know how much we appreciate his publication, please.

Also, that same day, just outside the park entrance at the Verizon Wireless Music Center, from 1pm until 9pm, there is a "Shelby Blues & BBQ" event (www.shelbybluesandbbq.org). There will be MUCH TO DO there besides food & drink, including watching both the 'Bama and 'all-Barn' games on big-screen-TV's (no bias intended). ;-D

In addition, The Plany Odyssey, Myer's Pottery, Hanna's Nursery and John Deere Landscapes are four of the most notable nurseries in the plant business - all within easy driving distance of our swap.

'nuff said.....

Me

• mws366
    12 years ago

i updated my plant list. let me know if you want anything.
    i'll put your name on it.

wayne

• birdlady_10
    12 years ago

I got busy these pretty day weeding,mowing,repotting& planting& totally forgot to update my trade page! It is now done so please look & see if you want anything.Let me know & see you all soon! Jan

• Jackie McCarty
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'll be there, but also pretty sure I won't have anything to trade. :(

I've been looking over the park website, and I'm gonna bring my camping stuff and stay friday and saturday night, since its 50 miles from my place.

See y'all next month.
    Jackie

• tedevore
    12 years ago

I put some things I could think of on my trade list, will try to update later :-)

• katluvr
    12 years ago

Hello all, I hope it would it be ok for me to post what I have to bring here? It is last minute and still hoping we can make it. I have :
    mixed bearded iris noids 3-4.
    Iris sanguinea-purple ( tall slender foliage) 3-4
    Lygodium japonicum AKA Jap climbing fern.2-3
    Stella D Oro DL,3-4
    mini hosta-blue mouse ears, 2.
    Callisia fragrans AKA Dutch mans pipe plant, it is also known as a holistic medicinal plant.more than 5
    purple leaf oxalis w/ pink blooms-3-4
    ast. begonias cane and rizomatus.mostly angel wings (cane type).at least 2-3 of each , several of the torch variety.(red blooms)
    varig ivy more than 5
    mini sinningia 'Glory B'-3. tiny purple flowers.
    unrooted cuttings of streptocarpella purple blooms velevty foliage. , please e-mail me if interested.
    double purple datura, AKA angel trumpet seedlings with 4 leaves, 3-4 please e-mail so that I can pot up in time.
    Ric Rac catus- 2
    pitcher plant divisions, 2-3 small,and 1 parrot pitcher
    pickerel rush w/ purple blooms (not blooming now) please e-mail me if interested as i have to seperate them . 2 plants.
    little kim lilac- 1, leaves are rough but will be ok
    nunn orchid, please e-mail so I can seperate out, very easy to grow. 2-3
    Dorstenia foetida - 1
    rooted cutting of red thai crown of thorns- one
    also unpotted yellow canna, and some noid bulbs that were all thrown together in a 5 gallon bucket.
    many many 3 gallon and one gallon pots if interested in pots let me know I will load what I can.
    Thank you, Ronda
    e-mail me at---> rondapriest253@aol.com

i am interested in bog plants and cacti and succulents, anything odd .