Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cucumbers

Posted by bobbyf zone 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 21:46

I have planted slicing cukes, they are a newer hybrid from Burpee, can't remember the name. The vines look good and have bloomed steadily, but about 90% of the cukes grow to an inch or two long, than die. some keep growing but a re soft and no good.......the 10% that are ok are very good tasting. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thanks y'all

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cucumbers

Sounds like a pollination problem. Do you see insects in your garden? If you don't have honeybees and bumblebess, there are various native bees that will pollinate them and even ants.

o

Thank you Nicole. The lack of bees the last few years is kinda scary, but I have more this summer, I am wondering if its some kind of fungus.......anyhow, the last week has been better for some reason, still losing most of em, but not as many as before, those plates of sliced cukes and tomato's tasting good....

o

Did you plant your usual variety? If not, maybe the one you planted this year just isn't good for your garden.

I planted Sweet Marketmore as usual this year and have been deluged with cucumbers. I've never had so many. I was a little smug that I didn't have any squash bugs this year, but the pickleworm showed up a few weeks ago at my house and I'm about ready to tear the cukes out now as soon as I let some go to seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here