Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mygarden_my_peace

Angel Trumpets

mygarden_my_peace
18 years ago

Does anyone grow Angel Trumpet? I think they are gorgeous and would like to try growing a couple. Can you tell me anything about them that might be helpful? Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• yuccapatrol
    18 years ago

I just planted 3 of them that were given to me by one of the members here. The ones in his yard were gorgeous bushes about 8-10 feet tall and the flowers smelled like candy.

I was told that I can expect some flowers next year, but it will take another year to have a fantastic display. They need half a day of sun in order to bloom.

Also, all parts of the plant are very poisonous. Don't eat them or burn them.

I planted them where my dogs could not get to them just in case.

• birdlady_10
    18 years ago

I have my 300 foot drive lined with them on both sides.They are a traffic stopper when in full bloom.I counted 100 blooms on one plant last year! If you are anywhere near the Talladega area I have a few extras,already 2-3 ft tall with buds.I love them.

• JOEL_alabama
    18 years ago

They are easy to root from a cutting. I cut back the stalks of mine at the end of last season and cut them into 4" pieces which rooted quickly in water.

They put out an amazing number of blooms.

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

Joel,
    Do you cut them all the way down every fall? I am getting some from a friend, and have never grown them before. Do they like full sun or afternoon shade? What about soil? Do they have a preference? Do you fertilize, mulch, etc?

Jan

• tedevore
    18 years ago

I got my angel trumpet from Terry, the super nice gardener who gave it to me
    a couple of years ago at one of the spring plant swaps at Oak Mtn. State park.
    (Thanks Terry!)
    It is in a big pot and i keep it in the garage over winter. Last winter I cut it down so only about a foot of the stalk was showing, but I have heard that it is not necessary to trim back that much...it just makes the regrowth and bloom in the spring take longer to start.
    Currently my plant only gets about three hours of direct sun, but it has bloomed three times as you see in this picture here. I had it in more full-sun last year, and it may have bloomed a little more, but I also had to water more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecuador pink angel trumpet (brug)

• Frog_hollow_lady
    18 years ago

hello,
    I also love brugmansias and daturas..I cut mine down to the ground about 3 inches above the ground and mulch...Mine are in FULL sun and I feed once a week with 20-20-20..and yes if you cut yours down you can put them in a bucket of water in your shop or basement and in the spring you will have a bucket full of new plants..remember to tag your stalks before you put them in your bucket...or you will have to wait till they bloom to see what is what. Have fun with your plants...
    Jody

• ForGetMeNots
    18 years ago

Hello- I am new, just looking around, and saw tedevore's photo and wanted to say how beautiful these plants are! I think my mother in law has a little yellow one. I am going to have to see if I can 'help her' cut it back this fall and have my little bucket of water handy. *grin* oh wait, it's a new plant this year, and it is os small it probably won't be ready for cutting back yet will it?
    There is so much information here! Thank you!

• JOEL_alabama
    18 years ago

I leave a little bit of stem above ground but it probably doesn't matter. Mine haven't had any special care and seem fine. They are in full sun in a mulched bed.

• nonacook
    18 years ago

Jody, I only have un-named varities, so I tag my cuttings by tying colored yarn around them. White for white, etc. That's easier for me than writing on something.

• baddogs2
    15 years ago

I have a double white angel trumpet i bought at a plant store
    It was about 2 foot tall when i bought it and it grow to about
    6 foot tall by the end of the season.
    i live in zone 5 so i dug it up and stored it in my garage.
    I cut it down to about 4 feet last season and now hve replanted it.
    Did I do it the right way?

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Baddog2, you will be fine. Feed it often and keep it well watered.

• kevabear
    15 years ago

Well this is about the only message forum I can find on Angels Trumpets. I have a huge one, and plenty of babies growing around my yard. I recently got seeds for a purple ones. I am wondering how long it takes them to grow from seeds. I have planted them in pots and they have sprouted. Anyone know about how quickly they grow and bloom?
    Lauri

Sponsored