Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asiatic jasmine

Posted by mokey (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 22:24

i have 2 of these that are still in their pots. i want to plant them in my front yard, but i have heard that in some areas it can be invasive. is it invasive in alabama? montgomery, al?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asiatic jasmine

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 22:42

Mokey, I find it easier than most vines to keep under control. I've grown it in the past on an arbor and while I had to tuck in the new growth, it really makes a nice climber. I've used it as a groundcover and it stays about 8-inches tall. In my current garden I have 3 large pots of it (one variegated and one a more slender smaller leaf)and that's the best control of all...as long as you don't let it reach ground it just coils around top of pot mostly.

I find it's easy to pull up if it does outreach its assigned spot. Mine rarely blooms...and they're so tiny the only way I noticed was the sweet scent. Have never seen it elsewhere in garden in 30 years so invasiveness probably refers to runners escaping into wild area (rather than from seed). No problem if you keep an eye on it, at least in my experience.

I really like this plant...it gets reddish/wine tones in winter and just looks good yearround. Never had disease or pest problems. Easy to propagate and great in arrangements. josh

o
RE: asiatic jasmine

It is a groundcover so it will spread but only by runners. We have tons of it where I work and have never had any problems with it. If you want to see what it can do take a look around the Alabama Activity Center downtown (across Monroe St. from the RSA Tower). Just keep in mind that these were planted two feet on center many years ago...although they covered the beds in one growing season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here