Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone know muscadines?

Posted by MiKru 7b/8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 23:06

Hi all:
I bought two muscadines at a big box store last year and planted them to grow up and along a fence (each in a "T" formation). One of them just exploded in growth; the second barely inches along, and has more or less stopped growing. Same location, planted at the same time, same routine.

So that's just weird, but if anyone might have an explanation I'm interested to know.

But to my actual question: this is year two with the vines. I trimmed them in February back to three buds on the shoots and in May I had a few grape buds (more, strangely, on the slower growing one). But those buds have disappeared and the ends of the tendrils look burnt. The vines otherwise look ok: the one is still growing like crazy, they have a few red spots on the leaves and maybe some yellowing.

Does all of this point in the direction of one problem? I'm thinking that it needs magnesium, but I really have no idea. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone know muscadines?

You might search on-line for " Muscadine nutrient deficiency pics". this has helped me with several plant mysteries. Jim

o

Thanks notascrename -- I found that suggestion very helpful. I'm going to try a few new things.

o

You may have 2 female vines. You don't say what varieties they are, so hard to know, but that would be my first thought. See if you can find a "delicious" or "ison" variety to plant with them as a pollinator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here