Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for help identifying creepy worms

Posted by dnr24 8/7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 23:06

I posted this in the pest forum, but thought I'd also check with my fellow Alabamians.
Can anyone help me identify these worms in this picture? My initial thought is that this is bad news. What should I do? Thanks.
Wide View of Mulberry Tree
Creepy Close-Up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for help identifying creepy worms

They are fall webworms...a close relative of the eastern tent caterpillars. Fall webworms make their large tents on the ends of branches and become quite common in the summer. Mulberry is a favorite host, so much so that in some locations they are called Mulberry Caterpillars.

The best recommendation (not just mine) is to disturb that webbing with a broom handle, stick, or something like that. Just by opening the nest up, you'll put those caterpillars on the dinner table for the host of predator animals and insects the prey on them. The parasitic insects will be able to get at them, too.

If there are any nests that you can reach with a pole saw, you could remove them and dispose. There are no chemicals that are recommended for these kinds of caterpillars, as their nest pretty much protects them.

Just let all of their natural enemies have at 'em. Don't be surprised if you begin hearing lots of bird squawking in the very near future! They love those things.

o
RE: Looking for help identifying creepy worms

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure the birds will love them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here