Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about native azalea

Posted by leet05 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 23:16

Hello everyone.I'm new to the forum and was wondering if native azalea grows on old or new wood.I recently purchased from local nursery and new growth is coming from the bottom but there's two long branches at the top with no leaves. Should I prune the leafless branches?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about native azalea

Starting near the top of the leafless branches, take your fingernail and scratch bark on the limb. If you don't see any green under the bark, go down the limb a couple of inches and scratch again. Repeat this until you find green under the bark. Everything above the green is dead and can be pruned.

o
RE: Question about native azalea

Thank you tsmith2579.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here