Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground cover

Posted by stephanielynn_grows 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 23:44

I live in Jacksonville, AL, and wanted to know what kind of ground cover would thrive here. I want to put ground cover in a flower bed in front of my house. And I was also considering putting in ground cover on the hill behind our house because it is too steep to mow with a riding mower. Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground cover

Your question is too general as you don't mention if the plants would grow in sun, shade, etc. How large (length/width)the space in front of your house is.
Anyway, you may want to drive up W. Francis St. and turn into the parking area just past the Chief Ladiga Trail and visit the Jacksonville Garden Club's demonstration garden.
"Mount Rubble" is a lot steeper than a looks. It is planted with cacti, yucca, agave, etc. Other areas of the garden have plants that would also qualify as ground cover.

o

I apologize. The flower bed area in front of my house is approximately 40 feet wide by 3 feet deep and is in full sun part of the day.

The area on the hill behind my house is approximately 100 feet wide by 40 feet deep and is in full sun all day.

I am looking for a ground cover that would cover the soil. I'd like a ground cover that would conceal weeds and take over the area so weeds couldn't even compete.

Thank you.

o
Thanks

Thanks for all the help.

o

You may want to check out Loropetalum chinense 'Purple Pixie'.
You may also want to visit Bloomin' Miracles nursery on White Gaps Rd., 435-2717. They may have a suggestion for the hill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here