Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanielynn_grows

Ground cover

I live in Jacksonville, AL, and wanted to know what kind of ground cover would thrive here. I want to put ground cover in a flower bed in front of my house. And I was also considering putting in ground cover on the hill behind our house because it is too steep to mow with a riding mower. Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (4)

• terramadre
    14 years ago

Your question is too general as you don't mention if the plants would grow in sun, shade, etc. How large (length/width)the space in front of your house is.
    Anyway, you may want to drive up W. Francis St. and turn into the parking area just past the Chief Ladiga Trail and visit the Jacksonville Garden Club's demonstration garden.
    "Mount Rubble" is a lot steeper than a looks. It is planted with cacti, yucca, agave, etc. Other areas of the garden have plants that would also qualify as ground cover.

{{gwi:366319}}

• stephanielynn_grows
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I apologize. The flower bed area in front of my house is approximately 40 feet wide by 3 feet deep and is in full sun part of the day.

The area on the hill behind my house is approximately 100 feet wide by 40 feet deep and is in full sun all day.

I am looking for a ground cover that would cover the soil. I'd like a ground cover that would conceal weeds and take over the area so weeds couldn't even compete.

Thank you.

• stephanielynn_grows
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the help.

• terramadre
    14 years ago

You may want to check out Loropetalum chinense 'Purple Pixie'.
    You may also want to visit Bloomin' Miracles nursery on White Gaps Rd., 435-2717. They may have a suggestion for the hill.

Sponsored