Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilydigger

WANTED: Fall Plant Swap Info

DaylilyDigger
18 years ago

Hello I am new to the garden web had heard many good things so decided to investigate and so far i like what i see.

Any way i was wondering about the fall plant swap. Like what do i need to bring, where is it going to be, when is it going to be, all those type of things.

thanks for any info you can give.

Clint

Comments (32)

• ourhighlandhome
    18 years ago

Hi Clint!

Well....maybe your post can serve as the catalyst to get this thing going. Since you're new to the forum I'll try to put together an alocasia/colocasia "basket" for you. You can bring whatever you want to trade and do so on the spot, but I prefer to pre-arrange most of mine through private e-mails.

We'll meet from 10:00am until at Oak Mtn. State Park in the "last" parking lot available before heading up the dirt road to Peavine Falls. As the "newbie" Clint, you'll be expected to furnish all the food, drink, etc., and I like mine medium-well. Tee! Hee!

We have a pot-luck picnic - it's just kinda thrown together, with each one bringing something, from ice, cups, plates, etc. to burgers, 'dogs, and whatever. With any luck we can secure a grill, complete with a table and other amenities.

What say ye, people of the forum? I'm pretty flexible but would prefer September 10th, since 'Bama plays a night game on that date ;-)

I'll start working on a special trade section on my exchange page in the next couple of days. Let's get this thing going - we have lots of new folks here we need to take advantage of (I mean, encourage to attend).

Nelson ;-)

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

I agree - let's try to get it plannned - and i like advance planning. I missed the spring swap, had just too much going on, and i definitely want to make the fall swap!

Any time other than 1st and last weekends of the month are good for me - so, yes, the 10th works for me. Oak Mountain?

Ummm - Nelson, I am relatively new to the forum, and very new to the swaps, so does that mean i get a basket?!?! :)

My question - do we bring extras of stuff, in addition to pre-arranged, or what? And do we need to bring them all in pots, or in pots and/or bags?

I have some pre-arranged trade stuff for Sharon & Lynn already (gotta pull the lists) - anyone who sees something off my trade list, or off my picture gallery for that matter - let me know if you want something. Gotta work on them in advance

• mws366
    18 years ago

clint, this spring was my first plant
    swap. had a great time. nelson, i agree with sept. 10. i have a prior
    commitment on the 17th.

wayne

• pfllh
    18 years ago

Sounds fine to me. Already have some thins set up.
    I'll be bringing the plants Michelle had promised at the spring swap. She and her family are moving back to Alabama and may be "moving in" at swap time.
    Wayne, were you the one that asked for the southern fern I have at the spring swap? Didn't write requests down and my brain went to lunch and didn't come back !!
    Lynn

• browneyedsusan_gw
    18 years ago

Sounds great!
    I have lots of plants that need division. Please look at my list and make requests.
    Susan.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    18 years ago

Nelson,

Is Nancy's Revenge hardy outdoors for you?

Susan.

• mws366
    18 years ago

lynn-i have lots of southern fern.
    must have been someone else. look
    forward to seeing and trading with
    you. i'll list all fall swap plants
    on my exchange list.

wayne

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Hi ya'll - sent some of ya'll emails - ref: plants - also, wanted to let Terry & Sylvia know i am gonna bring their pots (and some extras back to them too) - LOVE the angel trumpets, etc. WONDERFUL - gonna try to get some of them in ground this weekend -

On the swap - will we make plans closer to time ref: potluck, etc., - any "Rules" for requests, etc.....since this is my 1st swap....

• pfllh
    18 years ago

RoseMary, RULE # 1 Give Lynn your greenhouse !!! heh heh
    The menu is usually closer to the swap.
    Check the trade page for those that are going to see if you want to pre-arrange. Sometimes though something has come up and someone may not be able to come that has set up a trade so you have to work that out.
    I know you'll enjoy it.
    Lynn

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

HEHE Lynn - i can't give you my greenhouse - but instead you should come see it! :) We will get together soon!

• browneyedsusan_gw
    18 years ago

I have updated my trade list and will continue to add to it.
    So far I am bringing :
    Nelson: Ceratostigma, Rudbeckia "Goldsturm"
    Tony: Stachys Helen Von Stein, Pardancanda
    Rosemary: Black eyed Stella, St. John's Wort, Variegated sedum,Pardancanda
    Lynne: Variegated sedum, Purple and White Iris.
    Todd: Kalimeris,Phlox David, Delosperma, sedums
    Wayne: Tradescantia "Sweet Kate", Persicaria "Painter's Palette", Viola "Royal Robe", Ceratostigma, Germander
    Anne: variegated sedum, Purple and White Iris.
    Sharon: purple and white Iris, Variegated Sedum
    Deb: Purple and White Iris.
    Jackie: Purple and White Iris.
    Michelle:Purple and White Iris, var. sedum

Please let me know if if I have made a mistake.

I would like to get everything potted ahead of time so please check my trade list.

Susan.

• tedevore
    18 years ago

As its been more than a year since I made it to either the spring or fall swap,
    I'm going to make it this time, so help me! I updated what i could
    think of that I have to divide on my list. I'm bringing a fern and some foam flower for Susan.

Hope everyone has had a great summer.

todd

• birdlady_10
    18 years ago

Ok I've got my trade page all updated as of today.I think I got everything down.Hope to see all of you on the 10th. Jan

• loveofmylife680
    18 years ago

My list for the fall swap
    Lynn-white amaryllis,calla lily for blue hosta
    rosey825- northern sea oats,amaryliss,calla lily for white ginger
    I am bringing some bingo paper for someone who is home schooling but cant remember who? would love to have some trades for ferns anyone,I am doing the edge of the woods with all kinds of ferns need alot. lol
    Jill

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Hi Jill - yes, that is correct - and yes, yours are on my list - let me know if you want anything else as well - i already have your ginger lilies potted up.

• flowerjunkie2
    18 years ago

Hello,

Ive never been to the plant swap, BUT im going to this year(and bringing my neighbor w/me)
    emailed Deb for when and where.
    Im looking for lots of brug cuttings or rooted(whatever) that can be wintered for spring sale, and anything else that catches our eye! -love vines,tropicals(still looking for that grn and red jade vine.... dreaming i guess lol)

I can trade and bring some Tapioca trees(small ones-grow fast and beautiful) rice paper plants,turk cap cuttings,and maybe more....
    Also NON plant stuff to trade; bare minerals,multi tasking -'warm radiance'same as stuff on TV for sale that retails for $18.00 ea.((HAVE LIMITED AMT, SO IF INTERESTED CONTACT ME AHEAD OF TIME,SO I CAN HAVE WITH ME.-good stuff -wont use anything else now and my skin is doing much better...))

Looking forward to the plant swap and meeting everyone,finally...Alabama -its the only place to be....

Thanks,
    Sandy

• loveofmylife680
    18 years ago

I am going to bring some begonia plants to the swap for someone to tell me what type it is. They were already at my house when we bought it, it comes back every year and would like to know whoever knows what it is will be the lucky winner to have it. lol It transplant very well.
    Jill

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Hi, y'all. I have a large clump of pampas grass that needs to be removed. It will have to come up in several smaller clumps. Is anyone interested? I can't think of any plants I need. Heaven knows I have too many already. I could use some smaller pots, the 6" wide X 7" deep size. Also, I have some Canada goose planters. Daisy gave me one at the Spring 2004 swap and I've used it as a pattern to make more. I'm already taking cuttings for next spring but won't have any for Fall swap. Oops, I do have about a dozen small watermelon pink crepe myrtles if anyone is interested.

• pfllh
    18 years ago

Hey, Terry. What do you want for the planters(2)? I've used my pots for Michelle and they don't move into the house until the end of Sept. Anything else you need?
    Jan - birdlady10, was looking for some crepes. You might check with her.
    Thanks
    Lynn

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Hey Terry,

Well OF COURSE if no one else wants the pampas grass I'll take it, since you want to get rid of it. You know you can always bring any castoffs to me, as long as they don't have to go in the greenhouse for the winter, since it was overflowing last year.

• birdlady_10
    18 years ago

Yes-yes-yes I'll take the crepes! Still got about 100ft of road frontage to plant.Terry-check my page & see if there's anything you can't do without :) I'd like to have a planter --IF you have enough. Jan

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Lynn, Jan and Rosemary - I've sent you e-mails. Be sure to look for them. If you don't get them, I'll re-send.

Thanks

Terry

• browneyedsusan_gw
    18 years ago

Hi,

I need to thin out Miscanthus sinensis "variegatus" (variegated eulalia grass), Black canna, Orange cannas with yellow edge on petals, short red canna, pink canna. Does anyone want them? If so I will bring them to the swap

Susan

• Jackie McCarty
    18 years ago

Hi Susan,

I would like a black canna, please.

Jackie

• loveofmylife680
    18 years ago

I'll take some black canna's if you have anymore.
    Jill

• michelle11
    18 years ago

Hi all! I am excited about meeting you all.
    So far I am bringing seeds and ivy to Rosemary. Both Jill and Lynn want Leyland cypress when the weather is a bit cooler. I will also bring a Miss Huff Lantana and some crepe myrtle (dk pink color).
    Michelle

• applepatch
    18 years ago

Oh,,,,,,my hubby and I just might be able to make this swap.I am off that weekend.He really wants to come to see what everyone has to trade.He has gone overboard with gardening,but I sure dont mind.I will post what I have later.Have given a lot away to some wonderful people and need to list what I have left.I do know that I have a lot of very tall orange cannas,a few small butterfly bushes,lambs ears,lavender obedient plants,yellow archangel,elephant ears these are runners,lavender iris.These are what I have already if someone want them.Paulette

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Hi Paulette - so glad to hear you might make it - those seeds you sent me are great!!! They all came up wonderfully, other than the trillium - gonna try it again.

I would LOVE to have some obedient plant please - and check out my trade list and see what you want.....

• applepatch
    18 years ago

I have about 6 trades of passion flowers.They are about 3 or 4 feet tall if anyone is interested,let me know and I will dig for the swap.Paulette.

• loveofmylife680
    18 years ago

Susan, I tried to add is the other day but could not. If you still have any eulalia grass I would like some of those too.

Jill

• browneyedsusan_gw
    18 years ago

Here's my list of things to bring:
    Nelson: Ceratostigma, Crocosmia Lucifer, Rudbeckia "Goldsturm"

Tony: Stachys "Helen Von Stein"
    Pardancanda

Rosemary:Black eyed Stella
    St. John's Wort
    Variegated sedum
    Gaillardia
    Spirea Neon Flash, Shibori
    Miscanthus sinensis Variegata
    Crape myrtles.
    cannas
    Pardancanda

Todd: Kalimeris
    Phlox David
    Delosperma
    sedums

Wayne: Tradescantia "Sweet Kate"
    Persicaria "Painter's Palette"
    Viola "Royal Robe"
    Ceratostigma
    Germander

Anne: variegated sedum
    Purple and White Iris.

Sharon: purple and white Iris
    Variegated Sedum
    Debbido:St Johns wort
    Purple and White Iris

Jackie: Black canna
    Purple and White Iris.

Jan: Bangkok canna
    candy lily
    Neon Splash spirea
    Sweet Kate tradescantia

Alex/Laurie:Caryopteris
    Rose of Sharon blue with red center
    monarda
    Veronica Red Fox
    candy lily

Jill Beardon:black canna
    Miscanthus sinensis Variegata
    Gaillardia

Lynda: Phlox David

Michelle Houston:Veronica Red Fox
    Black eyed Stella
    Rudbeckia goldsturm.

If I forgot something, please remind me.
    susan.

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Here's what I have on my list to bring, pre-arranged trades:

Jill
    white ginger lilies

Susan
    (save her the "unknown hot pink" when it multiplies)
    red lily
    stargazer
    other pink lily
    pinkish daylily
    Hyperion daylily

Wayne
    Pot of columbines
    perennial sunflower
    gardenia

Nelson
    purple coneflower seedlings

Michelle
    (save her a JosephÂs Coat if roots this winter)
    Gardenia

Marcia
    purple coneflower seedlings

Jan (Bird Lady 10)
    BOP
    Indian Rubber Tree
    purple/white azalea

Jackie (STROBE)
    strawberry pot

Paulette (Applepatch)
    Black EE's (violet stemmed leaves)

Terry/Sylvia
    1 gallon pots (that Angel Trumpets came in, or equivalent)

Tony
    Cheddar pinks  did you also really want a ponytail palm? You mentioned it one time

Debbie Spradlin
    Tree ivy (cuttings, rooted if it worked)
    Books for kids

Sharon
    jade plant
    aloe plant
    night-blooming cereus
    kalanchoe
    Angel wing begonia
    Airplane plant
    Arrowhead
    Mother-in-law
    Corn plant
    Prayer plant
    Pregnant plant
    Pop lily
    Rose campion
    Ginger lily

Let me know if i missed anything. I have TONS of gardenias and forsythias rooted, good sized plants. ....I haven't heard back from Sandy - who are the others coming? Todd - think i missed your list, fixing to check it and email you!

I pulled Lynn, Lynda, and Anette off this list since they can't make it - but have ya'll's stuff set aside, on another list - we'll get together eventually. Also have Anne Hester's BOPs too.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus