Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Chartreuse Ornamental Sweet Potato

User
15 years ago

Last year I bought and planted a flat of the ornamental sweet potatos. They spread like wildfire through my hot flower bed with the western exposure. I cut off the runners several times, when they tried to cross the street and when they covered my roses like kudzu vines on a rampage. They made nice purple-fleshed potatos, which I left in place. One of them was half exposed, and it was the size of a large round grapefruit. I thought they'd die during the winter, but no way.

This spring, they were slow to start growing. We came north to my husband's home in late May, and they were only tiny plants. Now, my neighbor tells me she has had to clear them again from the roses, and prevent them from crossing the street again.

Another neighbor admired them and wanted some to cover an old rotting stump in her front yard, so we obliged her with enough plants to do the job. Those too, I am told, are looking wonderful.

Has anyone else enjoyed such bounty with the sweet potato? Is it perennial in your situation? I plan to put some of the taters in pots for next year, since they apparently like the Mobile climate.

They look great next to dark green leaves.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH