Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhighlandhome

2013 Rainfall - have you EVER...

ourhighlandhome
10 years ago

...have you ever seen this much rainfall in one season? In 16 years of gardening I haven't. My water bill usually runs at least $130 from June through September. This year it hasn't topped $36.00 except for once.

On the down-side, my St. Augustine grass, crepe myrtles, etc., are all afflicted with a fungus due to excessive moisture.

It's damned-if-it does, damned-if-it doesn't! I must say I prefer excess rainfall over drought, even if it does cause it's own unique set of problems.

Oh well...

Comments (16)

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

The farmer's all are saying they prefer drought, but I suppose that's only the case as long as water keeps coming out the end of the hose.

2009 had more rain overall, but it wasn't all in the summer. Looks like we aren't even close to breaking records yet, but I think combined with the cool temps the moisture is hanging around instead of evaporating off.

I have all kinds of fungus issues in the garden and most everything is kinda tasteless. Things like tomatoes are starting to go bad just a day or so after picking.

This all makes me a little nervous for winter...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I haven't been an Alabamian long enough to comment on the unusualness, but I don't like it. I can keep plants alive in drought, but don't have enough pots to rescue all of the plants that have drowned in the ground. Before this summer, I've never seen standing water in this yard for more than a few minutes, only while it's raining, no matter how hard it rains. Some of these puddles/ponds are lasting for days, and it's muddy. There's only ever been sand before. I think the giant pecan tree is dying & spreading some kind of leaf fungus to my potted house plants. It's 'raining' yellow/brown spotted leaves under it. Hardly anything is blooming, and I hate walking around outside at all for now, water squishes up over my feet, like I'm walking on a big wet sponge. There's so many mosquitoes, we're getting bit INSIDE. Decades-old Hydrangea looks like an overwatered plant even though it's in the ground, a lot of chlorotic plants from what's left alive. Pill bugs - wow, who knew there could be so many?! Finding snails and slugs galore. Haven't used the hose since May.

This is my 7th summer here and I have never once put on long sleeves or pants during August before, so that's an unpleasant new thing the past few days. We're just over an hour from the beach and didn't make it once this year. The few weekend days it wasn't raining, other stuff was planned. This morning my son said kids shouldn't have to go back to school if they didn't get to have a summer.

• Bamatufa
    10 years ago

Those on well water should be happy. My municipal water is all well water and no letters from them this year to conserve or be threaten with fines.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

There has been standing water under my house for several weeks. The ground water is seeping up from all the saturated soil in the yard. The ground can't take anymore so it's under my house.

Subfloors are getting soft and some have come apart. Mold is all under the house too.

Unfortunately the home owners insurance doesn't cover rain seepage and flood insurance doesn't cover it because FEMA defines a flood as 2.5 acres or larger.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Does anyone know of the Ray Bradbury story of a school on some colonized planet where it was always raining? I believe there was a child who was locked away in a closet the one day it stopped raining.

Speaking of stories, I'm also reminded of a story called Linengen Versus the Ants. It's where a farmer/rancher in (i think in South America) has a very long and brutal time of trying to keep the ants from taking over. With all my fire ants (even in the floods) I refer to myself as Linengen when I have my ant wars.

• swjonthebay
    10 years ago

Saturday was 'scrub the green off the shaded deck/windows' day ;) Never have had to do that before.

Standing water in quite a bit of the yard and subsequently, the mosquitoes are horrendous--more like Alaskan skeeters than Alabama skeeters!

A storm of any size at this point would be disastrous for this area. Saturated ground= falling trees :(

• swjonthebay
    10 years ago

On the plus side, the temps sure have been nice for the most part :)

10 years ago

I think *I'm* overwatered! Supposedly, we'll dry out this week...

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

I need dry weather very badly!

• catbird
    10 years ago

Wish we could have saved some of that rain for now. It's been really dry here lately. We did get a brief shower yesterday and 5 drops (I counted them) today, mostly enough to make it HUMID and muggy in the 90+ temps. The high temps weren't bad when the humidity was low until yesterday.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Getting more rain.

• swjonthebay
    10 years ago

Frog strangling deluges the past three days. Enough already...really.

• swjonthebay
    10 years ago

Who knew we could stop ALL of the rain by simply sowing a few beet and carrot seed?!? ;-)

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry swj,

I share part of the blame. I should have never started this thread. Complaints about excessive rainfall always leads to a drought.

Truth is - I've been watering like a madman for the past three weeks. There.... I'm busted ;-)

10 years ago

Me too! Starting to feel like *I'm* just hard to please. Sounds like everybody is still too wet or dry though. Is anybody having a great summer (now turning to fall?)

I think the excessively moist ground earlier rotted a lot of the roots of some stuff, making it unable to cope with being dry now. I'm having to water profoundly wilted plants that shouldn't be wilting at all after only 2 weeks of no rain, and it's not just normal afternoon wilt. On the up-side, some Dahlias I thought were rotted to death are showing signs of life after drying out, but now starting to wilt too.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

I got rain yesterday.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting