Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant/mulch fungus?

Posted by roseyp8255 z8 - SC AL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 0:26

hey ya'll - have a strange appearance - some sort of fungus/mold - powdery spores. Starts off yellow on day 1 - like yellow paint almost - then changes colors.

here is a link of what it looks like. Suggestions? I am gonna try bleach/water mixture - appears to have come in on mulch but the mulch came from 2 different stores - first appeared after heavy rains (mulch in shock?!)

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of unknown

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant/mulch fungus?

You don't have to put anything on it; it is just a natural process breaking down the mulch. It is dog vomit slime mold.

Here is a link that might be useful: dog vomit

o

Slime molds (not really a mold or a fungus) really don't have much to do with decomposition but ingest bacteria and organic compounds that are already decomposed. They are very common on mulch, manure, compost, etc. But they can also be observed moving across sidewalks and other surfaces.

Fascinating organisms, and not at all harmful in any way.

o

Thanks ya'll - i don't really conder them fascinating lol - but nice to know not harmless. It doesn't really APPEAR to be a "slime mold" b/c it is stationary and is powdery by the end of day 1. saw slime mold one time out in the woods behind my house and thought i was gonna puke lol

o

There are thousands of different species of these 'things'. Your description fits perfectly. They really can be kinda sickening looking, at times.

o

What about a fungus that looks like a brown accordian or something - has ridges. There are a few in the cedar mulch - different sizes. All are allergic to mold so how should I get rid of it -- or should I just leave it alone. Has been raining all summer here.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here