Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseyp8255

are ya'll LOVING this rain as much

roseyp8255
15 years ago

as I am? Guess that is a dumb question! I think my yard loves it more than me lol!

Ya'll have fun at the swap - i am fixing to get a well, if anyone has any advice for me.

Comments (16)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

I measureed well over 4 inches of rain here since Friday evening. Ain't it great?

Advice about a well? Build you pump house large enough to stand up in. When there is work to be done, squatting to work on the tank or pump is a killer. If possible, leave the casing several inches above the ground and pour a concrete pad around it. Leave that part outside the pump house and put the pump inside. If you are using a submersible pump, you can still do this. If you have to pull the pipe and pump, it will already be outside and low to the ground so you can pull it and walk away with it. Remember, a submersible pump and/or the foot valve will always go bad on the hottest or coldest day of the decade. Be prepared to pull pipe under these conditions. Also remember that if the power goes, don't use the water. You will drain down the tank and maybe lose the air cushion necessary to maintain pressure; yo may lose the prime in your pump or both. Been there. Done that. Got the scars to prove it.

• roseyp8255
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan said that her rain gauge overflowed at 5 inches when she checked it today - and i have had BOO-KOODLES this afternoon - while worrying about a tornado in the vicinity! But, LOVE the rain! :)

Thanks for the advice on the pump house - good idea! I am still researching - i want to find a way to find water under the the ground before drilling...

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

I sure am enjoying our rain!! I was out of town for 5 days- my husband was supposed to water everything- not!! So this hopefully will allow all the brugs to revive, and hopefully not lose too many buds.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Love the rain but not the being without power for 18 hours !!! Popped Phil's hiney in the truck, turned the air on high and took for a short drive. He loved the caramel sundae. We sure cooled off.
    On the well, we have a brick house around it. The roof lifts off. We've had since 88 and replaced the pump twice. The sand ruins seals. Don't know if some type of filtering system would help. Have lots of ideas but that doesn't mean they'll work. Just make sure you go deep enough that in drought, your well won't go dry. We have neighbors that when we have a drought, they really have to watch the amount of water they use. We have no problems unless no power. We went deep to the Tuscaloosa strata.
    Lynn

• lsmcw
    15 years ago

Had 2 1/2 " in north Walker County and was delighted to get it. The pond and the rain barrels are full. Tornado sirens went off yesterday afternoon but it only blew a little and rained some. Had some linbs down but none landed on anything important. We'll see what the rest of the week holds. Linda

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

recorded 6" in loachapoka (auburn) sunday morning.
    more rain expected today.
    no power outage or wind damage except all of my 5' tall cleome are laid over. guess i will cut them off and get ready for some fall planting.

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

As Rosey said, my rain gauge overflowed Sat. and Sat. night so we got over 5 inches then. Yesterday 1 1/2 inches with tornados popping all around us. Today more tornados showing up and lots of rain. Haven't looked at my gauge in a while but over an inch early this morning. I think Faye needs to move on along to some of our northern AL areas and other drought ridden areas along the east.
    We had lots of small limbs and debri all over but no major damage or trees down, thank goodness.
    Ya'll watch for those pesky storms and tornados today, and stay dry.
    Jan

• jbranch
    15 years ago

5.5 to 6 inches total since Fay came to visit us.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Well, we've had almost 10 inches since Friday night. It rained hard today, all day. It has rained hard again since I measured and emptied the gauge. I love it. Heaven knows how much we needed this. Maybe TS Gustav will bring more rain.

• sundog7
    15 years ago

4.27" so far and still raining a bit. Fay was the "perfect storm" for us.

• ourhighlandhome
    15 years ago

"Perfect storm" says it best, Sundog. From Friday night thru Sunday morning I recorded 8.75 inches. Today alone another 3.3 inches fell, and we're still getting small, occasional bands of rain.

I can "read" the smiles in everyones' posts! Glad we all got some relief and are happy!

Nelson

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

9 1/2 recorded (not counting the overflowing guage Saturday night) to this point and it's still raining heavily.
    Jan

• roseyp8255
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you oh rain gauge guru Jan! I actually put mine back outside yesterday - and it started raining again lol.

While i love it, i do hope it dries up soon - so we can be prepared for Gustave and the one behind it. It MAY be a rainy fall - not that its a bad thing!

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

It has been a lot of rain, but with me up on a hill with all of this red clay- it will sure be a lot easier to work the ground this fall. Last fall the clay was as hard as bricks and would clunk when stabbed with a shovel!!
    I do hope none of you are in a low-lying valley....

• ourhighlandhome
    15 years ago

Unbelievable....another 4 1/8" fell last night, making a total of 16.25" in 4 days.

• leodecatur
    15 years ago

Well up in the North (Decatur) we have only had 2.5 - 3 inches, but it was rain we needed and welcomed. Might get more tonight and tomorrow, but not much.

Gustav may bring us some additional rain in a week or so.