Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Tree' Lantana

Posted by WannaBGardener 8b & 4a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 05 at 8:58

Has anyone tried, or had any luck with growing a Lantana into a tree. We have one that is getting to large as a bush, and would like to try doing the tree thing with it. I'm guessing to do this, we would save a larger stalks, and cut all the others away. I saw a couple of them as trees on "Week End Gardener" last week, but don't know if they were a true tree type, or a bush trained as a small tree. How tall do Lantana bushes grow????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Tree' Lantana

i have seen lantana as tall as i am (6'+) but can't say which cultivar it was(old homesite, maybe just a pass-along plant). the only one i grow is a trailer w/ bright yellow flowers.
as far as training into a standard, i am sure you could do it as you described but it seems to me that it would be necessary to start over each growing season. do the branches not get killed to the ground each winter where you live?
except for the trailing types, i think they grow naturally as multi-stemmed shrubs rather than single-trunked or tree-like.

o
RE: 'Tree' Lantana

my lantana is about 3 or 4 years old and around 5-6 feet tall. it dies back in the winter and puts back out from the root not the dry stem, so i am not sure how you'd grow it as a shrub tree. maybe its a different lantana or just requires a whole lot of attention.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here