Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant identification

Posted by alabamanicole 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 9:31

I have a problem area that doesn't grow much of anything but a little creeping charlie and this grass-like "weed." Can anyone identify what it is?

Colony:

From weed

Whole plant:

From weed

Closeups:

From weed

From weed

From weed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant identification

One of the polygonums, maybe?

o

Nicole, I'm attaching a file re what we call bamboo grass, but it has many other names. It is fairly easy to pull if done fairly early. Later growth more tenacious. HTH, Rosie in GA

Here is a link that might be useful: weed grass possibile ID

o

Oh, that's it, Rosie. You're the bearer of bad tidings but at least I know now. Someone else thought it was Dichanthelium sp., but I never saw it bloom that way.

Unfortunately, I have a HUGE area full of this... next to a wet weather creek.

o

Pooh - responded back the other day - see it didn't get through. This is just one of those 'do it' jobs and 'do it' you must before it seeds, which is soon. With damp earth it's pretty easy. Report progress please. Rosie

o

Yeah, I don't think I'll be clearing up 2000 square feet of this by hand, especially when half of it is in an 8' snaky wet ditch. :p

Now that I know what it is, I see my whole neighborhood has it. And the seeds last for 5 years... so since I'm planning on regrading that slope and putting in some erosion controls next year I'll deal with it then as best I can. Right now it's the only greenery holding down what's left of the dirt on that slope.

Someone suggested oversowing with winter rye, which is an interesting idea. I may do that this fall. I don't really think it will hold back the stilt grass next year but it might help some. At the worst, maybe I'll lose a bit less soil this winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here