Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scandia_gw

American Hawthorne True or False

scandia
14 years ago

I received some "tree sticks" last year for donating to the Arbor Day Foundation. All the trees are doing well. One of the trees that I added to my back yard is the American Hawthorne. This tree is 3 feet tall now. Someone told me that the American Hawthorne, although a beautiful tree can give off an offensive odor as it matures...Is this true??

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I think that the flowers of some species smell to high heaven. The ONLY way that I would add one of these plants to my landscape is if I had space a loooonnng way from my back porch/patio. Do you know which of the native American Hawthorns you've been sent? Perhaps Crataegus globusum, which is the most common American kind. It's also, unfortunately, so susceptible to hawthorn-cedar rust disease.

You should know that the perception of smell can be quite different from person to person. What one person finds objectionable, others won't mind at all.

• scandia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is Crataegus phaenopyrum. Washington Hawthorne??

I planted one of them in my immediate backyard, meaning it is approx 50 ft from my house. I read that these Hawthornes attract Cedar Waxwings which is a bird of interest to my Hubby.

It seems to be happy, and because it attracts the Cedar Wax wing, I would like to keep it where it is.

I AM, HOWEVER, VERY sensitive to offensive odors. Not Flower odors, I cannot even imagine what was meant when I was told the tree gives off an offensive odor...Hummm

14 years ago

scandia, I cannot find any information that this (or other hawthorns) have an odor that is not related to their flowers.

But according to the research I did (because this is interesting), the Washington Hawthorn IS one of those Hawthorn species that some people report as having an unpleasant odor when flowering.

I do not know the species of the ones that I had such a bad experience with, but the smell was pretty strong and carried quite a distance in a humid, warm climate. As I recall, it reminded me a bit of the 'aroma' of Bradford (or other callery) Pears, which belong to the same family.

The bloom period only lasts for a short time, though. Even if it did really bother you, it might still be worth having it nearby.

• scandia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a Bradford Pear in the front it doesn't bother me. So if it is just a strong flower scent I think I will live. The tree is happy and I have looked up pictures of what they look like when they are mature. They are very pretty trees.

The hubby will be happy because perhaps he will get to see more Cedar Waxwings.

Thanks for all the help.

PS My neighbor says Hawthorne Trees are Magical..Hummm O K
    Just thought you might want to know that...(grin)

14 years ago

Magical....I LOVE that! I may have to go out and get a dozen or so. I could use a little magic in my life.

• PRO
    Resource Art & Design
    4 years ago

First of all, besides the question of odor, if left to their own devices, hawthorns will send up unsightly shoots from it’s limbs. While the main limbs will gently weave their way to the sky and you have the time or $$ to spend on pruning, if left unattended over the years, these shoots are stick straight and show obvious neglect in the part of the landowners. Believe me, you won’t like the look.
    Then, there’s the odor. They do ‘smell’ when blooming. Stink would be a better word. Here’s an article I found about why...

“When animal flesh begins to decompose it forms trimethylamine, a colorless gas with a strong, fishy, ammonialike odor. Research has found that the hawthorn flowers produce this same chemical. Traveling on air currents to reach pollinators near and far, this odor assures the pollination of the flowers, the setting of fruit and seed production, creating the next generation of hawthorn”.

But it’s not pollinated by bees cuz they don’t like the scent but by flys and other insects attracted by dying ‘matter’. ☹️
    NOW. To be fair to the tree, there are some which Do NOT stink when blooming. I was in the middle of researching this good news when I stumbled upon this HOUZZ discussion. All I would suggest is you do a bit a research into the exact plant you want to put by your back door, y’all, cuz you may have to dig it up and put it at the far end of your ‘north forty’ after the first time it blooms.
    PS if I find which is which, I’ll come back and post.

• PRO
    4 years ago

This hawthorn is a desirable bee and butterfly plant, apparently. Most don't find its odor too objectionable. Also, it is clearly very easy to maintain this desirable ornamental tree by the annual pruning of suckers.

This thread is very old. I wish that our OP could return and share her experience with us after 11 years.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville