Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rye grass

Posted by tdb8254 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 9:53

I have a new 6 acre home site and need to plant some grass on a large open area that's far away from the house but is bare ground and I fear i will get some run off when we get heavy rains. Can I plant perennial rye grass as trying to sod such a large area will break the bank

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rye grass

Nope, perennial rye grass will grow in the fall/winter/spring in zone 8b Alabama, but not in the summer. It's considered a 'cool season' grass and not adapted for permanent use in warm climates. Thus, 'perennial' rye isn't perennial in your location.

You COULD sow some ANNUAL as a 'nurse grass' over the winter. I do suggest annual rye for this use, not perennial. It will thrive in cool temperatures and hold the soil in place. Then, you could sow something over the top of the rye next spring...a warm season grass such as common Bermuda or Bahia. When the rye begins to die back in the heat, your permanent grass will be coming up like crazy as the soil temperatures really warm up.

You don't have a lot of choices for permanent warm season grasses that are available as seed. The two I mention are tough, resilient, heat and drought tolerant, etc. You might want to call your local extension for advice on any new, better introductions of varieties. It's been a long time since I had to spec out a large seeding project and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some improvements in varieties.

Remember, site and soil prep is important when when sowing grass seed. You'll want to make sure that the area is prepared to receive the seed. You sure don't want to end up with a bumpy, uneven grassy area full of holes or soggy low spots.

I hope that you'll be able to get some water out to this location during the grow-in process.

o
RE: Rye grass

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 0:06

You could also try some white and crimson clover. They will usually grow well from seed if we can get some regular rain.

I also recommend contacting the county extension agent. Where are you located?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here