Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Straw and Dwarf Mondo

Posted by MEY1963 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 10:13

My backyard is very shady, I couldn't grow anything but weeds. So I killed the weeds and planted Dwarf Mondo in a section of my yard. I used mulch to fill in around the Mondo and in between. Then the rains came and washes the mulch till now it is washing the top soil.

My question is: Would pine straw help in this situation, or will it prevent the mondo from growing up through it?
Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Straw and Dwarf Mondo

Either pinestraw or a heavier, chunkier mulch will help with the erosion.

I have mondo trying to push up pavers and growing up through the cracks; I doubt any mulch will be a long term impediment. Since your plants are new, though, I would be careful not to cover them up.

o

Thank you I appreciate any and all suggestions.

o

• Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 4:48

In this situation I would use a finely mulched medium, dried leaves or pinestraw being one of the best. It won't impead growth of the mondo, but will help prevent erosion until it gets established, although heavy rainfall will make folly of even the best laid plans.

Good luck - you have a great plan by using dwarf mondo, which I like; it'll just take a little time to become effective. Let us know of the outcome.

o

More people should discover dwarf mondo.

o

You might want to spread some pre-emergent herbicide (eg., Preen) regularly to discourage weeds while you wait for the mondo to fill in. Otherwise, weeding that big an area by hand will drive you nuts and mulch won't completely prevent them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here