Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any idea what this might be?

Posted by drippy 7bAL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 10:38

I didn't plant it, it is showing up in random places. The smell is dill, very much so, but it doesn't flower, and it comes back from the roots annually. It is tall, about 4 1/2 feet. I am tempted to eat it, but would like to know what it is first, lol.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any idea what this might be?

How close up is that photo? If it's close up, it bears a resemblance to summer cedar aka dogfennel (Eupatorium capillifolium). That has a strong smell, right height, perennial, and yes, it's edible. But your photo doesn't 100% convince me.

o

Nicole, I think you might have it - I did some searching around Google Images, and it looks right. Apparently it blooms in fall, though I can't recall ever seeing it bloom - I will watch for it this year. Posting another photo - these were as close as I could get.

o

I don't think I've ever seen it bloom, but it must sometime.

If you eat some, don't go overboard. It tastes pretty good (nothing like dill; its sweet) but has some chemicals that tax the liver a bit. Spice or occasional nibble, not a regular green. The taste is strong enough you are not likely to want more anyway.

o

Probably more palatable to butterfly caterpillars, but can't remember which offhand.

o

Research seems to indicate to be very careful of it as an edible - but many sites say the taste is unpalatable, which I find hard to believe, since when I crush it, it smells pretty good to me. But then, one site I looked at says it can cause contact dermatitis, too - so far so good on that one for me! (and I do get poison ivy & short-term itchies from juniper) One of the sites I looked at said it is repellent to rodents - which would be a good thing around my vegetable garden area - although it can be invasive.

I will probably try a little, just to see what it tastes like. I am fascinated, as this is one of the plants I do not ever recall seeing in MA.

o

Eattheweeds.com mentions this plant in this article. There is no 'regular' article about eating it, like all of the other edibles discussed there.

o

Full disclosure: I've eaten it myself several times.

Another option is to taste it and then spit it out. But if it's going to be scary or uncomfortable to you, just skip it. It's not so great that you are going to be missing anything. Enjoy the smell instead.

Do be very sure of the ID first before nibbling..

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
For those curious about the potential toxicity, links below.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/CausesOfIllnessBadBugBook/ucm071047.htm
"Reports of acute poisoning in the United States among humans are relatively rare. Most result from the use of medicinal preparations as home remedies. ... Home remedies and consumption of herbal teas in large quantities can be a risk factor and are the most likely causes of alkaloid poisonings in the United States."

Toxic dosage info on pyrrolizidine and case history here; no cases reported from this particular plant. Not all pyrrolizidine alkaloids are toxic to humans; this is not a plant which is *known* to be toxic, but several closely related plants are so it's probably best to be conservative.
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/pas.htm

o

I ate a bit - still around, LOL. It was pretty tasty, but I didn't think it tasted sweet - rather like it smelled, dill/parsley flavor. Maybe not dog fennel? But if not, I have no idea what else it would be - definitely looks like dog fennel to me.

Of course, the plant I tasted has been growing in a bed near parsley and bronze fennel - it's definitely not either of those - but could that have affected the flavor?

o

The flowers are very small and greenish - most people would not even realize it was flowering. But it makes tiny seeds and is an important source of food for songbirds.

o

Eupatorium capillifolium, Dog Fennel. It is a common pasture weed. I wouldn't recommend eating it .

o

I can't say I've ever looked at a weedy type thing growing outside and had the urge to eat it. haha Guess I've bought too many of my spices in jars......have no idea what the real deal looks like. :-)

o

In bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here