Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsmcw

Calling Newbies

lsmcw
15 years ago

We need new blood to come to our September 13th plant swap. I think the regulars all have each other's stuff! You can trade anything garden related - plants, bulbs, seeds, birdhouses, pots, garden art, bird feeders, tools, garden books, rocks, stepping stones, bags of potting soil or manure - come on down and have fun. Post your items to trade along with your wish list on your member page and post a notice on this site that you have updated your list. It's that simple. Linda

Comments (13)

• leodecatur
    15 years ago

Hi Linda, where is the plant swap held? I am a newbie so don't know if I will have anything to trade, but would like to come see what goes on.

Thanks, Leon

• lsmcw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Leon,
    It will be somewhere in Birmingham - Wayne is checking on Aldridge Gardens, Veteran's Park and Oak Mountain. We have had it at Oak Mtn in the past and a couple of times at a member's house. Keep checking the list serv - he will notify everyone there. Sometimes we bring a pot luck dish for lunch, sometimes we go to a local restaurant. I'm sure you will find something to trade. This is a friendly group of folks and hope you will attend.
    Linda

• leodecatur
    15 years ago

Thanks Linda, I will keep a watch for the location.
    Leon

• idig
    15 years ago

I've just come across this forum. How fun it would be to meet more people with dirt in their blood!
    Finding this so late, and with the drought last summer, I don't have a lot to offer in a swap, but would love to participate. I could probably root some stuff for next swap. I'll look at your wants and see what I have.
    I will go out after this rain (YAY) and see what else might be dividable for fall.
    I also will be doing some dividing for an elderly relative soon, so maybe I will find some wants there.
    I see you have confirmed the Sept. 13. Has a location been decided on?

• mws366
    15 years ago

terry is working on the location for the swap on 9/13.
    he will post it in the next few days.

wayne

• jbranch
    15 years ago

Does the swap have to be something from your yard? I just received a hosta as a gift, so it has been purchased. I thought about dividing an eye off of it and bringing that. Also thought about stopping by Home Depot or somewhere and picking up somthing inexpensive. This is my first swap also, so I am not sure what is the norm.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Jeff, it does not have to be from your yard. Some people have asked for things that would have been purchased then or prior and they didn't need, ie: potting soil, planting soil, garden decor, tools. Just check the lists and see what all people want.
    I need large ceramic pots and large rocks and now have to come up with what people want for them IF they have them. Lots of times we're looking for the same things!
    Hope so much all you new people can come.
    Lynn

• lsmcw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sure everyone can find something to trade. I am of the opinion that one can never have too many daffodils and am always willing to trade for bulbs - or clay pots - or rocks - or a bale of hay, etc. Linda

• catbird
    15 years ago

There may be several of us newbies coming from Gadsden. We're eager to meet everyone and see what's going on.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

It will be so nice to meet all the new people. You won't be disappointed in the variety of plants and gardening items or crafts.
    Be sure to list plants you are interested in receiving. I for one don't dig it unless someone wants it. Then too any garden related items you would like or need.
    Welcome to all of you.
    Lynn

• madabouteu
    15 years ago

I am looking at what I can bring. So far - several agave seedlings, some Madagascar palms about 1 foot high, some Rhipsalis, and some Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia millii). I am one f the Gadsden people Catbird mentioned.

• telly2
    15 years ago

I have never been to a swap either, but I'm gonna do my best to come to this one. I live in Birmingham & I know where Aldridge gardens is, so it would be a shame if I couldn't make it. Sounds like a lot of fun !
    I haven't listed anything yet on my member page, mainly because I'm unsure what all I might have. One thing I know for sure that I would bring is several blackberry lillies. They're about to grow out of their pots !
    As far as what I would like, I'm currently obsessed with bird feeders or anything that attracts birds to my yard. What I'm really looking for is a bird bath or something that would lend itself easily to making one. Other than that, I love hydrangeas, lillies, and roses.
    Does anyone ever just trade non-rooted cuttings ? I'm about to start some this weekend, so was wondering.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

On the cuttings, just list what you have and somebody may just want to trade. We sometimes just bring things there as we have too many and see if a trade or give them away. That would be up to you.
    Will be good to meet you.
    Lynn

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm