Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall vegetable planting

Posted by bhamian 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 12:28

Hi there,
I'm dreaming of what to plant this Fall. Have any of you grown peas in the Fall in Birmingham? I am also thinking of planting soybeans and carrots. Generally, what have you had luck with, any varieties to recommend? I have had luck with greens, green beans, peas (tried spring only), lettuce, spinach, okra and radishes. I have given up on squash because of vine borers. I have also given up on tomatoes, eggplant and peppers due to poor soil. I would like to branch out more and have more variety in the garden.

My soil is pretty poor and seems like all the composting and adding manure I do just can't make much of a dent. I have also been trying cover crops, alfalfa and red clover. So I am thinking of trying something new, get free wood chips, pile them up in the garden and then till them in the spring. Any thoughts?

I would also love to find someone in Birmingham to swap seeds with.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall vegetable planting

Hi, I do not plant much for the fall. Not sure why.
You should come to the fall plant swap. There are great people there and the plants and other items we swap are just wonderful.

o

Hi, I live 2 hours NE of Bham. I grow veggies in large pots. This fall I am growing long beans, bush beans, cucumbers, spinach, beets and tomatoes. Also lots of basil, thyme, oregano and lavender.

Next spring I will start growing in raised beds.

o

I live in B'ham,but do my gardening at my folks in Chilton County.Have plenty of green seeds,turnip,kale,mustard and rape,if you're interested.

o

Whats you're soils ph?. Pile up hardwood leaves and grind them down with a push mower, spread them 4 inches deep and throw on some high nitrogen fertilizer to help break them down. Might need to cover the garden with plastic late feb. to dry it out so you can till. check the PH! correct it now. Then show us a picture of your tomatoes. Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here