Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Anyone Interested in Fall Plant Swap?

tsmith2579
15 years ago

Is anyone interested? It is officially August and time to think about organizing a Fall Swap. Any suggestions about: Location???? Date??? Once we have set a date and time I would like to invite a representative from Aldridge Botanical Gardens to join us. We can show them what our swap is all about with the idea we may be able to organize the Spring swap at the Aldridge Gardens.

Comments (28)

• mws366
    15 years ago

hey terry---- a fall swap at oak mtn. (unless someone offers
    another venue) and a spring swap at aldridge gardens would be
    nice.

wayne

• tedevore
    15 years ago

Yes, I sure want to have a fall swap. Oak Mtn. is always good, but heres another idea: How about the (somewhat) new Veteran's Park in Hoover? Its just one exit away from the Oak Mtn. exit (off Valleydale instead of 119.) Its right across from Spain Park high school so its easy to find. Its free--no entrance fee. There should be plenty of parking space and all. Just a thought.

I'll have some stuff I rooted this spring and stuff that will be divided this fall,
    so I'm all for it! Maybe those of us who pay attention to the dates of late afternoon or evening football games should suggest a date.

• jbranch
    15 years ago

I am interested, though never participated in one before.

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

I will be they wherever it is held this year.
    Jill

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

Where ever sounds good to me!! Looking forward to seeing y'all!! Beth :-)

• ourhighlandhome
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how many of us ever remain behind and take advantage of the many recreational opportunities at Oak Mtn. State Park, but if the number is small to none, it may be worth looking into Veterans Park, as Todd suggested.

It's an impressive little park, it's in the same vicinity, and it's free (although I've never minded paying the nominal fee to enter Oak Mtn.). Whatever we agree to is fine with me, but I do think it's best to reserve a pavillion so we have our OWN, GUARANTEED MEETING SPACE (especially if we're inviting "dignitaries").

I'll suggest Saturday, September 13th, as 'Bama will be playing Western Kentucky and that other school has a night game. The 6th of September would also work, but that is so close to my birthday on the 8th that I'd expect presents! LOL!

Just throwing info out there. I just look forward to seeing everyone again! And to those of you who haven't attended before, you don't know what you're missing, so please don't be shy and plan on joining us.

Nelson

• pfllh
    15 years ago

If any way possible, I would attend. Don't know anything about the Veteran's park so you that do know both parks pick.
    I do think we need to stay with a date where things can be planted and get a good root system before we start getting freezes. With this crazy weather, who knows.
    I agree having a definite place to go makes sense. Then if it rains, we can trade and still eat all the goodies OR if we make a day of it, we can cook on the grill. Whatever people want to do.
    If we have a speaker, I'd do that after lunch and then we will have time for questions or discussions.
    I'll have to wait to see the date and wait till closer to the time to see how things are going.
    Always love to see everyone. You all just made it very special when you came to my home. Things are getting more normal with the flooring replaced and finding places to empty the boxes AND the conservatory is almost done.
    Would be great to see you all again.
    Lynn

• mws366
    15 years ago

i like 9/13 at Veteran's Park, but i'm
    flexible.

wayne

• lsmcw
    15 years ago

I can't make Sept 6th but can make the 13th, 20th or 27th. Never been to Veteran's Park - do they have pavilions?
    Linda

• arenee
    15 years ago

I've never been but I would like to attend.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    15 years ago

I'll be there whenever and wherever. Please post your wants so that I can pot them for you, if I have 'em.
    Susan.

• lsmcw
    15 years ago

Can we go ahead and pick a date? I want to make sure I can attend before I start arranging trades. Linda

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Sounds like it everyone may be leaning towards the middle of Sept. Hope ya'll have a great time, but I won't be able to make it in Sept. I'll be in PA with my DH....things will be slower here, and I'm taking a few weeks to spend with him and see the fall colors up there while I'm at it. :)
    Hope you all have a wonderful time, and maybe I'll see ya'll in the spring.
    Let me take this time to thank everyone for the plants I got in the spring.
    Susan...my salvia "Argentine skies" is gorgeous and the hummers love it.
    Terry....my Hibiscus mutabilis Rubrum and my flowering pomegranate are growing like gang busters. The hibiscus are blooming and are just beautiful.
    Wayne....the akebia quintata I got from you has really taken off.
    All the other things I got from you folks in the spring are growing well also. Thanks to you all, and I'm sorry I'll miss the fall swap this year.
    Jan

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, everyone. Let's go ahead and plan on Sept. 13. I'll be taking vacation next week and we aren't going anywhere so I'll have all week to verify and check on where we can meet. I'll ask Aldridge Bot. Gardens if we can use their parking lot for the swap and then we can walk through the gardens afterward. I'll check out Veteran's Park on Valleydale Rd (Shelby CR 17)and let you know. Then there is always our fall-back at Oak Mountain. Just remember, we are on for SEPTEMBER 13.

• mws366
    15 years ago

i put a post on the exchange page for the fall swap. even
    though it has the latest date, it does not appear at the top.
    scroll down and add your notes.

wayne

• catbird
    15 years ago

As a newbie to the plant swapping game I had to search for a while to find the exchange forum. Here's the link for others not in the know. ;-)

I hope I can come to the swap. Have been wanting to for several years and it's never worked out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Exchange forum

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

I don't know that I'll make it w/Jan (TweetyPye) not coming - and between travel ball and the on-going remodeling (I'll finish one day) I can't guarantee anything right now. Hell, i haven't gotten stuff in the ground from the spring swap yet?!?!

Of course - see the below link on the unknown plant/mulch fungus, which I would NOT want to spread until i figure out what it is and how to get rid of it. any ideas?

So, looks like i will see everyone in the spring - i DO want to go to Aldridge gardens one day......

Here is a link that might be useful: my unknown mulch fungus

• gardenerbythelake
    15 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,
    I would like to come to the fall swap. Since I'm fairly new to perennial gardening, my offerings will be mostly unnamed hosta, but if that is o.k., I would love to come.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, Gardenerbythelake. Please come to the swap. We are always happy to meet new friends. I look forward to meeting you. - Terry

• catbird
    15 years ago

roseyp8255: I wouldn't let that fungus keep me away. I guess everyone who's used mulch has had something like that at one time or another. It's not pretty, but apparently is harmless.

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

thanks Catbird - that is not the only thing keeping me away - remodeling, travel ball, and hte fact that none of the plants from the spring swap are in the ground yet! I seem to keep too muhc on my plate and am DETERMINED to finish the remodeling and get my current beds cleaned out, divided, etc, plus everything new in the ground BEFORE i take on anymore!

• gardenerbythelake
    15 years ago

Good Afternoon,
    I have been looking around my yard for something to trade. I have a well-established bed of Homestead Purple Verbena and 2 quite large Miss Huff Lantana that have come back for several years. Is it too late to root cuttings to trade, and how would I go about it?
    Sorry for being so ignorant.
    Dorothy

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Susan, the Formosa lilies are blooming now. Michelle said you wanted seeds. Would a plant(s) be better? Michelle has the plant you wanted. I'll bring it too for you. Michelle won't be ableto make it as little Christopher, now 6, plays football every saturday morning.
    Did Chris see anything she wanted?
    Does anyone want the wild phlox that were on the side of the house?
    Oh, still getting baby toads if ya'll want some!! :O)
    Lynn

• engvillage
    15 years ago

I am very interested in the Fall Plant Swap. I'm new to the site but have really enjoyed reading all the nuggets that people share on here. I will keep watching or hope that I'll hear about it. Thank you all.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Linda, did you get my reply to your email?
    Lynn

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

Hey Lynn,
    I would enjoy the wild phlox if they are not spoken for, and if I have something to trade that you are interested in. I am driving to Minnesota with my daughter, this next week, so I will talk to ya'll when I get back.
    Hugs, Beth

• pfllh
    15 years ago

I'll put you on the list, Beth.
    Lynn

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Any new info on the swap? Where and what's to eat? Just like I really need to eat!!!
    Sorry I haven't done a list yet but I will.
    Lynn

Sponsored