Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Twig Dogwood

Posted by mattie108 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 13:09

Just wondering if y'all would share some pearls of wisdom on the subject of Red Twig Dogwoods. I bought one about six weeks ago, planted it on the west side of the house, and water it two or three times a week (now that it's finally stopped raining). But it's looking kind of puny. Could this be a response to the days getting shorter (already!)? I'm near Huntsville, by the way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Twig Dogwood

It's a brutal time to plant a tree, especially one that's fond of cooler weather than we get. I would shade it, if you can, until the temps drop a bit, and avoid overwatering.

Dogwoods are one of the first trees to call it quits in the the fall, so I wouldn't be too concerned if the leaves start to change soon. I was up in VA this weekend and they are already starting to change up there.

o
RE: Red Twig Dogwood

Thanks, NIcole. From what I've read the Red Twig Dogwood is a shrub, not a tree, but I'm sure that's neither here nor there. I knew it was probably a risky time to plant it since the price was marked way down (it was cheap enough I didn't mind risking it). But it looked so good for the first little while after I planted it that I hate to see it looking unhappy now. I'm going to take your advice and figure out some shade for it. Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here