Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbird_gw

Fall Plant Swap

catbird
14 years ago

Thought we'd better start a new thread dedicated to this subject. On another thread we usurped ;-), people have suggested meeting at Jan Birdlady 10's place in the Talladega (I think) area. The dates suggested are the last two Saturdays in Sept. or the first two in Oct. The one mentioned most so far is Oct 3. As for food, Jan posted: "around here the best is The Ark! Best shrimp & catfish there is.People come from all to eat there & it isn't expensive.There is also a chinese buffet,The Shack barbeque,a mexican place & several others to choose from." Sounds good to me. Let the swaps begin!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Earlier thread

Comments (20)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Y'all decide on a place and date and I'll do my darnedest to attend. I'll bring a radio for the Bama game.

• kemojr
    14 years ago

My wife and I had lunch at the ARK last weekend. Not fancy but the catfish was great.

• ourhighlandhome
    14 years ago

Everyone seems to be settling on October 3rd at Jan's place, which works for me. I also recommend eating at the Ark; I've eaten there several times and the food is always excellent. Note to Susan's boys: the onion rings are probably as good as they are at Smokey Hollow in Jemison! ;-)

This time I think it would be a good idea to give the restaurant a couple of days notice as to approximately how many people will be eating there and when. I think we kinda overwhelmed Smokey Hollow!

Nelson

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Good idea about letting the folks at the restaurant knowing what to expect. Jan's place in Talledega on Oct. 3 works for me. That is my vote.

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

Catfish, awesome onion rings, and plants!!!!!

The calendar is marked!

• mws366
    14 years ago

hey everyone---oct. 3 at jan's works for me. i'll sort through my potted plants and possible divisions over the
    couple of weeks. my trade list should be updated by the
    third week in august.

i'm looking forward to it, like a kid at Christmas.

wayne

• birdlady_10
    14 years ago

My brother-who owns Cracked Pots Garden Center says he'll have a big clearance sale for whoever wants to look also.He's right around the corner(walking distance) from me.You can MapQuest my address to see where you're going or email me for directions from your place.My address is 1568 Cedar Sprngs Rd,Talladega,Al 35160.My page is now updated.I'll add more if I find anything :O). Jan

• daffodillady
    14 years ago

Fellowship with some great gardeners, catfish, onion rings, swapping plants and a clearance sale- man,oh, man- it don't get much better than that. I will be updating my trade list soon (-;

• catbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hope your brother-in-law has plenty of leftovers! I'll bring plants AND a checkbook! I'll be redoing a long bed this fall, so it couldn't come at a better time.

• madabouteu
    14 years ago

Sounds good to me. Right now all I can think of to trade is some Rhipsals cuttings and empty pots - especially hanging baskets.

• airydana
    14 years ago

This date looks good for me. Sounds like a good plan. Thanks Birdlady. Catfish is always a fav meal.
    Dana

• gardeningjam
    14 years ago

I went to the last plant swap and look forward to this one. Where do you find the lists of what people want. I don't know what I should start rooting and dividing but I have alot to choose from.

• catbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

garedeningjam: Go to the Alabama Exchange page linked below. (You can always find the link near the top of the Alabama Forum main page just above the list of messages.) People will post a message on the exchange page either listing their haves and wants or will refer you to their own exchange pages. You get to that by clicking on "My Page" next to the poster's name. At the top of the person's page you will find "See my trade list". Click on that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Exchange page

• roseyp8255
    14 years ago

i will have to miss this one too, but ya'll don't give up on me. i will hopefully be caught up with my plants by spring. have been continuing remodeling (just had house painted, fixing to landscape front yard, but i already ahve plenty of plants for now.)

• flowersrme
    14 years ago

I sure hope I can attend, its been a few yrs since I have been. I need to get a list together. Hope to do that soon. What is everyone looking for? I am looking for alocasia and colocasia's I don't already have and a red banana like silam ruby. I love big leaves and var plants.
    cynthia

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

I'm there. Will have kids, a friend and plants. I may have to find a van to bring. We won't fit in my little car. very excited....

• idig
    14 years ago

I plan to come too. Might even be able to come without grandkids this time and do lunch!

Looking forward to it, now I just need to take a look around at what needs dividing.....

• flowersrme
    14 years ago

I just updated my list and may add some more later

• haley45
    14 years ago

I plan to come too. Jan, thanks so much for having all of us over! I already have some things listed on my page but should have some more stuff to add. Looking forward to it!

• shadowpaige64507
    14 years ago

I just got the "all clear" from the wife. So I'm planning on being there Oct 3rd. Good news for me to, being that is a bye week for my College Team....MIZ-ZOU

Sponsored