Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers

Posted by Angie.D AL (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 13:58

My cucumbers were doing great and then one day last week, the leaves started spotting and the vines started getting mushy and slimy. I saw snails at the root so I bought snail/slug killer and Sevin dust (that's the white powder you see on the leaves). I applied both products 2 days ago and so far my cucumbers have not improved. Is this damage from the snails or something else? This is my first time growing cucumbers so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers

Are the fruits also splotchy? If so, probably cucumber mosaic virus.

Otherwise, it's probably squash bug damage. Even if you killed all the bugs (unlikely), the leaves won't heal. The plant will continue to put out new growth, though.

o

Just my opinion, looks like fungus. An extension agent was telling me that cucurbits like cucumbers and squash are really being hit hard by fungal diseases this summer. Looks like this one is headed for that big compost pile in the sky. Too far gone. As much as I like heirloom veggies, modern hybrids with disease resistance do have advantages!

o

I'm surprised people are still getting cucumbers -- I pulled mine a few weeks ago after a very productive few months.

o

Thank you all for responding. I think you're right about the fungus, so I pulled all the cucumbers up this morning. Going to start working on my Fall garden.

o

MiKru, I'm still getting a few but most of my plants were pulled out weeks ago.

o
mine are about kaput too

I have a few cukes still on the vine, not quite ripe, but the vines themselves are just about dead.

o

I received good advice -- maybe on this forum? -- a few years ago, and that was to pull plants sooner rather than later. The bugs home in one dying/wilting plants, attack them, and then lay eggs in the soil for the next season.

My gauge for cucumbers is pickle worms. If the plant looks bad and I'm finding a lot pickle worms in my cucumbers, the plants gotta go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here