Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this weed

Posted by noyardman AL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 14:00

and how do I kill it?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29425801@N07/3781211321/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this weed

kinda looks like Lantana??? Does it have a spicy smell when you cut it??

o

It isn't Lantana and I don't know the name but I have it all over, as well. It pulls up easily enough but it seems for every one you pull, 3 more take it's place. It is MADDENING.

o

I have it too and don't have a clue as to what it is. I hope someone can identify, if for no reason other than to know it's name. Leaves are totally different from lantana; more fragile and thin. And yes, easy to pull up but I agree - a dozen more will come back.

o

I get a lot of it, too. Roundup or a broadleaf herbicide will kill it, but if you prefer prevention, plan ahead. Pull it up before it goes to seed and put down a good layer of mulch topped with a preemergent herbicide to reduce the new seedlings that appear.

o

I have it too, all over my sloping shaded backyard. It really seems to thrive in the woodland setting. Roundup doesn't even dent it for me. No idea what it is.

o

If you post your good image over in the Name This Plant forum, it will be identified promptly. I browse there every day to 'study up'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here....I'll take you there

o

It looks like Mulberry Weed.

I have documenting the weeds on my land.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mulberry Weed

o

I have it too but don't know it's name. I use a sharp hoe and cut it right at ground level. Don't com back.
Catbird, do you have a nursery in Madison, Al?

o

Ted: Managing the plants in my own garden is sometimes more than I can handle. :-) No, I don't have a nursery anywhere.
Alice

o

I agree that it is Mulberry weed, Fatoua villosa. A weed from Asia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fatoua villosa

o

Thanks, esh, for the ID. Now we know!

Ted you are right - there is a 'Catbird Seat' nursery in Madison. Nice place, but I don't usually shop there as it's on the other end of the county for me.

o
catbird seat

Yes I know the owner of the nursery,Cory Brown, quiet well. I met him through mutual friends and we deer hunt together.
He is a graduate of Auburn in Decrative Horticulture, and has ID'd every wild plant I've not recognized myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here