Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bananas in Ala

Posted by birdlady_10 z7b Ala (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 14:14

OK all you banana people out there I need some advice.I need to know which bananas I can plant i the ground.The spot is protected on the north by the greenhouse,the east by a 6 ft fence,the west by the house & the south by the pond pergola & 3 ft high bog pond.It gets sun till about 4 or 5.The bananas will be heavily mulched(in the winter) with about 3 ft of hay.I have MySore,Rhino Horn,Ice Cream,Thousand Fingers,Ladyfingers,Red Iholene,Rajapuri,Thompson,Iterans,Kru & Hua Moa.Sure hope lantaholic sees this post.Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bananas in Ala

Yes Jan, you can plant these outside but it would have to be in MY yard!!! :O)
Lynn

o

Birdlady, Definitely Ice Cream can be overwintered outside. This spring I planted Praying Hands, Manzano and Rojo Zebrina in the ground, I have potted Mahoi and Saba. Will be getting a Chinese Yellow soon. None of mine will stay in pots, I just haven't prepared a place for them yet. I want to try a Red Iholene and a velutina too.
On your Kru and Hua Moa for some reason I want to say don't try them in the ground overwinter but I just can't be sure without researching.

o

Be careful what you wish for,Lynn! These things are growing like mad & have pups :o).
Thanks,Kabby.I already have the musa ornata,basjoo & chinese lotus out there.Think I'll try the Red Iholene.That thing is almost 20 ft tall now! My GH is 14ft :(.Also the Ice Cream ,Rojo & Orinoco.Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here