Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ornamental sweet potato vine??

Posted by daffodillady 7b/8a central AL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 14:34

So I was just given several small pieces of a green ornamental sweet potato vine. They have short roots on the ends. If I pot them up now, will they have time to grow the tubers that are recommended to store for next year? Should I plan on enjoying the vine for what's left of this growing season, or could the potted vine be overwintered sucessfully- inside or outside? Could cutting of the vine be overwintered in water? I am located between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ornamental sweet potato vine??

Beth, pot it up and grow as usual. When the vine starts to die back, stop watering, cover all of the potato with dirt and keep it in the pot. Put it in a cool, dark place and ocassionally water through the winter. About March 1 take it out of the pot, wash it and put it in light. It should begin sprouting. You can cut off the slips with a litle bit of the potato and pot them up. Each one wil give you a vine and grow potatoes. BTW, my mother used to cut off slips for a grower in Cullman when she was a little girl. She got paid 10 cents per thousand slips she removed from the potatoes.

o

Thanks, Terry. I have seen this ornamental vine at the Aldridge Botanical Garden and just loved the color and how it cascaded down over the pot's sides. I hope it will form "potatos" and make it through the winter, as I would love to have several pots to add to my collection....and also want to add the purple and others, eventually.
10 cents per thousand......WHEW...lotta work for that!!

o

I grew 'Sweet Caroline' potato vine this year - its a pretty variegated one. I'd be happy to try to root some cuttings to bring to the Fall swap if ya'll would like.

o

you can't kill these things with a flamethrower! just let them die down and take minor precautions such as a little shelter from hard freezing. i absolutely love this species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here