Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zelenkabach

Tools for Cutting a small shrubby tree

zelenkabach
9 years ago

I have a young (5 year) river birch tree that has overgrown its spot and I wish to cut it down. I have called in tree experts and it has been revealed that because of its proximity to my neighbor's irrigation system, they can't use the truck mounted grinder to grind the stump.

So basically, all they can do is cut it to the ground. Since they can't grind the stump, which was the whole point of getting a tree expert, I think it is a waste of money to have them come cut this young tree. The tree has three different trunks and the are all pretty thin and well leafed out, until they converge together at soil level. Then I estimate the radius of all three trunks together to be about 18" at the widest part and the irregular circumference of all three trunks to be about 30" So I feel confident that I can cut away most of the upper parts of each tree with my pruning saw to get the bulk of the tree down because they are pretty much 2" - 5" in circumference, and it is like a big shrub and away from all power lines, buildings etc. Plus, each branch is so leafed out that it won't fall directly when cut, but will snag on leaves around it.

Leveling the spot where the three trunks converge, after I have cut away the bulk, will require some other equipment.

I saw an electric Homelight chain saw for $50, which I thought might be a good investment. I feel that if I just sit and hack away at this with my pruning saw, I can get the job done as well.

I would appreciate suggestions of tools that would be able to cut the three trunks at ground level and are worth the investment.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• nod702
    9 years ago

I would think a regular 30 inch bow saw and a pair of loppers would take care of it. That is what i use if it's six inches in diameter or less. For me not worth the time to crank up my chain saw for something that small.
    If you can post some pics. someone may have a better idea.

• zelenkabach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a follow up, I am attaching a picture of the tree in three different posts. Upon closer examination it is a bit larger than in my original post and probably15', but the trunks are not that thick and there is no real danger of damaging property. I included some plastic cups to give you an idea of the scale of the tree.

• zelenkabach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd of three pictures of the river birch base.

• zelenkabach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

last picture, (3rd of 3).

• zelenkabach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

last picture, (3rd of 3).

{{!gwi}}

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

If I were to cut that tree down I'd use a sawzall type saber saw with a quality 12 inch pruning blade. It's almost as efficient as an electric chain saw but easier to control. Less likely to grab or throw something harsh because it reciprocates rather than spins.

I'd then cut it flush with the ground using the saber saw. Just lay the saw on its side and slice along the dirt. Removing the dirt somewhat beforehand with a hose with a jet type sweeper nozzle would maybe help to get the wood more exposed to help avoid trying to slice through flint rocks. At the most, I'd destroy a ten dollar blade; nothing more would be needed in equipment or disposables.

Then I'd cover it with manure or fertilizer (nitrogen sources) and a low mound of soil, and the little stump would be gone in a year or two, depending on how moist it was kept. Some people say this doesn't work, but it does for me. Reliably.

BTW: Harbor Fright has a 6 amp recip saw on sale right now (Item #65570) for $29, and that's a nearly throwaway price.

• zelenkabach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great advice, thanks so much.

I really didn't want to get a chainsaw because of control issues (I"m a "mature" woman) and I have a childhood memory of my father injuring himself with a chain saw...so your reciprocating saw suggestion is preferable because it seems safer and I can easily see other practical uses for it.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

If I could add my $.02 to this....Great advice on cutting it down from grubby_me. There is a product, and the name escapes me at the moment, that accelerates the decay of the stump. Once you get the tree cut and the stump leveled with the ground, make several cross-cuts in the stump. If you aren't worried about adjacent plants, pour some Round-up on the stump to ensure no additional leafing out occurs (you can skip this if you prefer). The product I'm talking about to accelerate decay is a powder you sprinkle on the raw stump. The cross-cuts should ensure good penetration. Then cover with dirt and mulch and you should see these stumps gone.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH