Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sprouting seeds (dumb question)

Posted by MiKru 7b (opelika) (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 16:50

Really dumb question here: normally I order seeds from catalogues, but a friend brought me some bean seeds from overseas and I tried to save some from the beans I grew for next year. I've never saved seeds before.

I just had a look at them and 80% have sprouted.

I assume this isn't good. How does one save seeds?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sprouting seeds (dumb question)

I'd guess yours were wet enough to germinate. Normally they will be dry enough already if their pods are mature and dry on the vine, but some years you end up harvesting when the pods are wet. Those years, leave them spread out someplace dry and warm until they are. I use paper plates on the kitchen counter. I usually leave them out to dry for a while even if they seem dry.

Other than that beans are pretty easy as long as they are not a hybrid variety. Phaseolus sp. self pollinates but sometimes an insect will crosspollinate them, so save some seeds from several years so you can go back a year if one year the beans look or taste different.

Do you know what kind of beans they are?

o
RE: sprouting seeds (dumb question)

I don't know. The beans that I first collected were from seeds that a friend brought back from China: broad beans of some sort. Since I found collecting them a bit of fun, I did the same with the rattlesnake beans. Most of both of them have sprouted, so I guess it's back to the catalogues.

Thanks for the reply!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here