Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notascrename

american ginseng

notascrename
10 years ago

Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this sort of thing? I'm not into selling it but getting it back into it's historic range. as you can see, seeds are starting to come ripe and need a place to grow. anyone? interested in helping get this back in the wild let me know. Jim

Comments (11)

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

Jim, those are some nice sized ginseng plants.

At least once a month I am up in the rich cove forests around Gadsden and know of several spots of private land where it would thrive. (And one spot where we found 3 lonely plants.) If you collect ripe seed we can absolutely get it seeded in some good spots.

• Bamatufa
    10 years ago

Its the root people are after? I saw a show on this and had no idea it grew in the US. I thought it was strictly an Asian herb/plant but apparently the US variety is just as good.

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

Yes, people dig the roots, and generally they are exported to China. It takes a *long* time for the roots to develop to harvestable size yet the plants reproduce slowly and is killed when harvested. The wild harvesters are driving it extinct instead of harvesting it at a sustainable rate.

• notascrename
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey alabamanicole, it takes a long time for the seeds to germinate. seeds harvested this year will sprout in 2015. the plants take about 7-10 years to reach harvestable size, 3-4 years to produce seeds. the problem is that people dig the root all times of the year; if they don't dig 'em, somebody else will. a dried root dug in june looks ,and sells , just like a root dug in september. the good side of ginseng is spreading the seeds out, knowing mother nature is smiling. Jim

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

So what's going on with folks' ginseng? Is a harsh winter good or bad for it? Am I too far south to grow it?

• joestovall
    9 years ago

I'm located in Anniston, AL

• David Lanclos
    7 years ago

Brother Jim, I am interested in getting some of those American Ginseng plants and seeds if you can send me some. Please let me know. My Email is: barefoot60@aol.com Brother David - Louisiana

• rojonogo
    7 years ago

Same here, Jim. I would be glad to try to get some started in a few places. I live just a little bit south of Birmingham.

• barbwire54
    7 years ago

Know this is an old thread but I would love some seeds to start. I am living in the southern end of the talladega national forest. Please email me at bcwbarb@yahoo.com

Thanks

Barb

• Charles Hubbert
    7 years ago

chollymac

Hey...boys!!! Land on military bases is more restricted than any other, and the public knows it is not permitted to trespass on it. Soldiers, on the other hand, generally come from far away and have no idea what ginseng looks like. So get yourself a buddy that works out on the Post and get him to help you get a Pass. Then get him to go with you out there and walk around in the woods.....and try not to step on it. Get the seeds you will use and the root YOU will use. Leave all the rest of it where it is. It really is a magic little plant, and when you dig it up and sell it you are mistreating it.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists