Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
american ginseng

Posted by notascrename 7? (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 17:10

Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this sort of thing? I'm not into selling it but getting it back into it's historic range. as you can see, seeds are starting to come ripe and need a place to grow. anyone? interested in helping get this back in the wild let me know. Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: american ginseng

Jim, those are some nice sized ginseng plants.

At least once a month I am up in the rich cove forests around Gadsden and know of several spots of private land where it would thrive. (And one spot where we found 3 lonely plants.) If you collect ripe seed we can absolutely get it seeded in some good spots.

o

Its the root people are after? I saw a show on this and had no idea it grew in the US. I thought it was strictly an Asian herb/plant but apparently the US variety is just as good.

o

Yes, people dig the roots, and generally they are exported to China. It takes a *long* time for the roots to develop to harvestable size yet the plants reproduce slowly and is killed when harvested. The wild harvesters are driving it extinct instead of harvesting it at a sustainable rate.

o

hey alabamanicole, it takes a long time for the seeds to germinate. seeds harvested this year will sprout in 2015. the plants take about 7-10 years to reach harvestable size, 3-4 years to produce seeds. the problem is that people dig the root all times of the year; if they don't dig 'em, somebody else will. a dried root dug in june looks ,and sells , just like a root dug in september. the good side of ginseng is spreading the seeds out, knowing mother nature is smiling. Jim

o

So what's going on with folks' ginseng? Is a harsh winter good or bad for it? Am I too far south to grow it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here