Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

ID of two native species

madabouteu
14 years ago

I was helping someone ID plants on their property, a wooded lot on limestone and immediately adjacent to the Coosa River. Perhaps someone can help with two I could not identify. I have done a lot of research but so far no luck.

The first is a small tree. Leaves are entire, oblong, and about 4 inches long, not acuminate. Fruit, at least in August, is a sphere about 3/4 inch in diameter, brown with small green specks. The fruit is hard, looks like one seed in the center, and has a markedly bitter taste (Nope, it was teh OTHER guy who was crazy enough to bite it!)

The second plant was far down a steep riverbank, I could not get closer than about 20 yards. Even from that distance, I could smell a pleasant, heavy frafgrance from the mass of white flowers - I could not see leaves. Tis was on the other side of a tree stump, could have been a sprout from the stump, but was less than 6 feet high (eyeball estimate).

Any ideas? I did find out that the area has a huge population of chiggers!! Also saw lots of chestnut oaks, sassafras, persimmon.

Comments (3)

Sponsored