Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

The sky is falling

I'm sure chicken little was just standing under a pecan tree. For the first time since '08, the giant pecan tree in my yard seems to have a decent crop of nuts on it. The squirrels are already playing with them and when they hit the roof, it sure sounds like the sky is falling. In 6-8 weeks, we won't get much sleep for a few nights if most of them stay on the tree until they're ripe. But I don't mind if it means we get a good haul of free pecans!

Comments (25)

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

My grandparents had a neighbor with a huge pecan that hung over their house. I remember the sounds of pecans
    hitting the roof. Especially the metal window awning.

• catbird
    12 years ago

Try sleeping in an old building with a tin roof and an overhanging pecan tree. Ir's like sleeping at a firing range.

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

A tin roof and a overhanging pecan would be challenging but I think I would like it if its only once a year. I built a 12x20 pergola underpinned with tin roofing just for rain effect. Relaxing sound to sit out underneath it while it is raining....and staying dry at the same time.

• tedposey
    12 years ago

You won't get any free pecans this fall unless you stop the squirrels. They will strip your tree completely before the pecans begin falling. Personally I reccomment a pellet gun and squirrel stew with dumplings. Yummm. A friend of mine put an inverted aluminum cone around his tree at shoulder height to stop them climbing his tree. They would climb up to the cone but could not get around it to go higher. Then jump onto it and slide off

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The squirrels live here, too. They're welcome to share.

• sundog7
    12 years ago

The critters probably get more of my figs and blueberries than I do. My response is to just plant more plants so there will be more for me.

I don't have pecan trees, but I walk through hundreds of yards that do. I see more pecans rotting on the ground than eaten by squirrels.

• gruber
    12 years ago

Solution:.22 caliber rifle with scope,200 rounds long rifle ammo.

Rewards: Succulent braised squirrels with biscuits ( for the gravy)and for dessert Pecan Pie (hold the ice cream).OH! and peace and quiet.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Purple, I've never lived under the canopy of a pecan but your post reminded me of a tiny bungalow I lived in for awhile in Beaufort, SC. There was a mature Laurel Oak (Quercus laurifolia) that hung over the house and it would shed its tiny acorns by the zillions every season. About a quarter of the size of a pecan, they sounded like a heavy rainfall. Squirrels didn't pay them much attention, as I recall, but sure did like the Live Oak acorns in the back yard.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, it's today. The sky is falling. It's raining pecans! I'll be making baklava tomorrow.

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Baklava! Yummy! Can you throw in some Pastitsio for the main coarse ?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm, if I knew what that was, I might. Please enlighten me!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

OK...you guys are making me SICK....(with cravings)!

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Greek Lasagna.

Original Author
    12 years ago

O that sounds yummy.

And I did make baklava, and a bowl of toasted nuts, and brownies with nuts, and have tons of containers full of nuts in the frige, more waiting to be shelled, more waiting to be picked up, and we're still getting pretty heavy shelling (which actually sounds like a military skirmish is happening.) Nuts about nuts!

• sundog7
    12 years ago

We had to have a pecan tree cut down today because it was on top of a leaking cast iron gas main. I wish I had had the means to move it the 138 miles to my yard.

It was a beautiful tree, but the gas main was there first and we have to be concerned with public safety. Please, please be sure what's in the ground before you plant a tree or shrub.

Oh, and don't plant holly bushes in front of gas meters. Ouch! LOL!

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

LOL, sundog. I was just thinking that I will have to move my (planned) Flying Dragon or risk the wrath of the meter readers in 5 or 6 years. :) It looked like room on paper, but not so much with standing in the yard. :)

• sundog7
    12 years ago

I look forward to the pecans falling. I usually pick up a few as I walk through the neighborhoods. Only a few people object, and they're usually the ones who let their pecans rot in the yard anyway.

I'm the one who will walk through the yards and flowerbeds, and *not* step on the flowers. Get to meet a lot of fine gardeners on my way.

• User
    12 years ago

Sundog, wish you were my meter reader. I went to reading it myself, because the one here would not close the garden gate behind him. IF he could open it. They estimated my bill because he said I had the gate locked. Even with written directions on the gate, he failed to figure out what it meant. Not rocket science.

The gas company should do like the power folks, and have the electronic reading ability. I think it would save a lot of problems for you all.

Meanwhile, my three pecan trees have been dropping green nuts for a while now. One is a Mississippi Giant and it gets serious when they fall on you. Just hits my Teahouse, with a metal roof, and it sounds like a gun shot!!!!!

• sundog7
    12 years ago

I'm not a meter reader. I'm the one who checks for gas leaks, and I physically have to walk along the service line and get close enough to touch the meter. Lots of gas companies are going to remote-read, but that actually makes it harder for us to check gas services because nobody looks at the meter every month to look for obstructions. The harder it is to get to your service line and meter, the more likely I'm inclined to bypass it and write it up as obstructed. Then it's up to the gas company to check it - most never will.

• User
    12 years ago

So much goes on around our homes that we are really unaware of happening. Good to know somebody is checking for leaks.
    This last summer I filled in a small pond adjacent to the gas meter. I also removed all the plants around it, so I could lay stepping stones and a small pad for an umbrella in that corner. I guess I was doing us all a service.

In all my digging I never ran across the gas line, which puzzles me. The markings at the street where they identify location of sewer, phone, water, gas, does not tell me what I want to know, about the places to avoid IN the yard.

And it is compounded that we have waste pipes only a foot underground because our soil really does not freeze in south Alabama. Fairly easy to damage something critical with a hardy swing of the pick.

Totally personal here, and off topic, Sundog, but when we redo our kitchen, should I replace gas line running from the meter to my new gas appliances? Then I could know exactly where the line is run. Our house was built in 1950.

• sundog7
    12 years ago

You can call any of your local utility companies to get them to locate their underground lines, or you can call 811 to get all of the possible utilities located. It's a free service.

If they are very old and rusty, then have them replaced. It's far easier when the plumbers and other contractors are already there working. Back in 1950 a lot of the lines used were galvanized steel and they probably don't meet the building codes we have now. Better safe than sorry when it comes to natural gas.

Back on topic - I'm working right now with the gas department in Lanett. The pecan crop here looks good this year. I haven't picked up any yet, but some of the guys have.

In the next week or two I'll be up in Athens, and I know several trees there to check out. One of these days, though, I'd like to work in Limestone County during Spring. I see so much around the neighborhoods that blooms in Spring that it ought to be beautiful there that time of year. I guess for now I'll have to be satisfied with looking at those great Fall colors.

Original Author
    12 years ago

The nuts are still falling, and I picked up 2 plastic shopping bags full at a friend's house today. So exciting when the most expensive ingredient in most of the desserts I like falls right out of the sky! So far, here are the things I have done with the pecans. What do you like to do that's missing from this list? I like to toast them before doing anything more.

Baklava
    so many different cookies, brownies, cakes, pies
    fudge
    with sweet potatoes
    in cold chicken salad
    covered in chocolate sprinkled with a little salt

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Pralines

• sundog7
    12 years ago

Pecan pies have zero calories if somebody else makes them, right? Or is that if you eat it with your eyes closed? Whatever, I can resist anything but temptation.

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Had choc chip & pecan cookies today from Full Moon BBQ.
    Awesome cookies!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting