Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhighlandhome

Attn: 'elephant ear' freaks!

ourhighlandhome
15 years ago

The Home Depot at Inverness is selling 1-gal. pots of colocasia lauterbachiana mis-labeled as musa 'Raja Puri' (banana) for $4.96 each. Specialty websites offer the same plant for around $20. They are sitting out front and to the right as you face the garden shop entrance.

It has a very different look and is supposed to be cold-hardy at least to Zone 8a. Thought different ones might want to know. I've provided a link to a picture below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:366967}}

Comments (12)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Well, to use a term from the Disco era (not the hip-hop meaning), I "got my freak on" this afternoon and went down to HD on Hwy 280. "Aaahh Freak out! Le Freak, C'est Chic." You knew I would! I am now the proud owner of a colocasia lauterbachiana. Like I really needed another one but I've had my eye on this variety for some time. Thanks for the two great aroid tips this summer. BTW, I don't know if you still have the mottled wentii I gave you but mine is starting to show larger patches of white variegation. BTW, my "marble taro" from Hannah's is growing babies and doing very well. Thanks - Terry

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK,

So, I didn't have a clue you could speak a word of French, but I knew deep down you were a closeted "disco bunny" from hell! LOL! How can I not feel good about helping somebody get dey freak on! I can just see you, me & Sylvia doin' the "Bump", "Stop Light" and "Worm" after the next 'Bama score! Tee! Hee!

I was hoping to catch a few fish with that posting, and figured you'd be among the first. Ain't they neat, tho?! I can't help but wonder WHY they were so mis-labeled??

I'm glad you're glad! Oh, look - they're playing our song!!

Nelson (on the lunatic fringe!)

• pfllh
    15 years ago

OH !!!!!! Nelson, do they deliver??? The box stores here don't even have good sales. Is there anything I have you want for the swap Just let me know.
    Lynn

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Lynn, I can stop this afternoon on the way home and get you one. It will give me an excuse to look around some more- Terry

• lsmcw
    15 years ago

And I thought daylily people were nutso! It's an honor to know you guys. Linda

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

Linda, These people are nutso! Nah they are just the best.
    Jill

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

i want one, too, at that price. i'll visit the local hd here during my lunch break today.
    i don't have a collection of these; just a couple of the very large "eared" ones and 'illustris' (i think) but that one pictured is unique in leaf-form.
    i wouldn't have to treat it as a houseplant, either.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Thanks, Terry. I answered your email and hope you got it.
    Oh, we're not nutso!! We just act that way to scare off people that might steal our plants. It works too. Verstehen sie mich? Heh, heh.
    Lynn

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Nelson, about the mis-labeling. We were talking to a friend of the family who had worked for Bonnie Plants. Lorene said if they were labeling trays of chili peppers and ran out of labels, they just started using sweet bell pepper labels or whatever pepper labels were handy to use. It seems they got paid by the "lot" so they didn't care if the plants were labeled correctly as long as they completed and got paid for the lot.

• john_trussville
    15 years ago

hey Nelson, most of the area Home Depots must have got these in last week....I saw them at the Eastwood store & Trussville, too. One of my palm buddies up in Tennessee even reported seeing them at a Chattanooga H.D., & they are mislabeled everywhere. I have to wonder if some poor soul somewhere will actually buy one thinking it'll grow bananas? LOL

• browneyedsusan_gw
    15 years ago

Nelson,
    There you go again! You introduced me to ee's and now I am addicted.

I am only going to HD to look at it. Since it is not hardy in zone 7b/8a, I must not buy one...
    Susan.

• User
    15 years ago

I'm up here in Mass. but will be making a run to HD pretty soon. I wonder if they ship them this far north? I hate to let such a bargain go by...I am already packing a lot of plants to take back south when we go home in Nov.

Guess I'll call my buddies in Mobile and tell them to go have a look before they are snapped up.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner