Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamatufa

Sad! Season coming to a close.

Bamatufa
12 years ago

Except for you coastal folks! Not fair! :-). Anyhow,getting all the growth I can before Mr. Winter arrives.I could be wrong but I do not believe we got one 80 degree night up here in north central Al. this summer.This might explain why my bananas did not take off like last year.Hopefully this winter will be mild!

Comments (7)

• User
    12 years ago

Bamatufa, I'm one of the near-coastal folks, at the top of Mobile Bay. Pretty confused summer it was, with now lots of rain expected from this present TS Lee which is stirring things up along the shore. For the previous two winters, we had some really cold temps, last year for more than 2 whole weeks below freezing. So if we have another winter like that, I'm going to be ready. Moving most container plants into the new Teahouse, a quasi greenhouse. Plus, I'm again mulching heavily the things too big to move. I've even hedged my bets and planted a few nice hosta, which can benefit if we do have those extended cold periods.

But how do you keep your bananas going in the winter in zone 7? The ones I left alone last winter came out very late this June, are not very big even now. The one Orinoco that I am trying to keep alive by potting it, not much size. However, the plant will be 2 years old next year and just might have some fruit. I hope.

You will probably get some of this rain from Lee too.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:366176}}

If you can see it in the pic. Fence it up and fill it with mulched leaves or bagged leaves. Worked well for me this past winter. I am down here with you in Orange Beach.It is very,very windy but not much rain since we got here.

• gruber
    12 years ago

You must be kidding about the 80degree nights , here in extreme northwest ALA. we had one night when it was 91 F at midnight. We had the earliest spring and ,are having, the hottest summer that anyone can remember.Like you I am sad to see my annuals burn out and up but I am looking forward to 70degree days . The most welcome northern visitor I can think of right now is that" Early Fall Cold Front",COME ON DOWN!!!!

• User
    12 years ago

Bamatufa, is that shade cloth or nursery cloth? My bananas last winter were pathetic looking, with wet blankets around them or wire cages with leaves stuffed down inside.

But I see I did not think big enough. That is some big enclosure. What do you do with something that is 12 foot tall? I had to cut the top off of that baby. It did survive, though. When it started growing in the spring, the center started growing out of the cut top, about an inch, then two inches a day. It is back at 12 foot tall again, in its new spot in the garden. Here it is the end of July.
    {{gwi:367001}}

The musa orinoco is in a tub, so has not grown much this year. But maybe I can leave it outdoors with the kind of protection you mentioned. And I can leave it alone then.
    {{gwi:366930}}

Hope you enjoy your stay at GShores.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gruber - I looked up this summers low temps for B'ham on the Accu Weather website from May to Sept and 78 degrees was the highest low temp. Not a normal summer for me.
    Moccasinlanding - it is nursery or landscape cloth.After the first frost I cut the bananas down to a couple of feet.One thing not in the picture and I failed to mention is I had them covered over the top to keep them dry with plastic or an umbrella.

• User
    12 years ago

Bamatufa, I thank you for that additional note. Mine did not rot over the last winter, even with just a blanket over them, because I'd heeled them into my DH's raised beds. Which drain very well. When the time comes this year, I will just surround their "dig" with some 4' tall garden fencing, and use the leaves from neighbors (which I take all the bags they put out for pickup) to fill in, and then I have some old hurricane tarps I can secure to the wire fencing. Naturally, I will be cutting down the big stems again.

But for experimental purposes, I will take the potted Orinoco into the Teahouse for the winter to keep growing.

I have visions of the large bananas and birds of paradise in the Bellingrath Gardens greenhouse for tropical plants, and it is sort of a dream I have, sitting in the Teahouse surrounded by tropical plants, while a cold winter rain falls on the metal roof. And of course, I am listening to soft music, drinking a cuppa tea, and reading on my Kindle. So I'm not sad that this hot weather is coming to an end.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I was further south with an extended season.Hopefully this winter will be mild like the last verses the year before.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional