Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anaturelover

Scuppernongs

anaturelover
18 years ago

I have three scuppernongs which for the first time have a lot of fruit on them. There is a lot of the fruit falling off before it is ripe. I did not spray or anything and I can't see anything wrong with the fruit, like worms or anything. This is my first attempt at growing them. Is there something I should have done? I hate to see all the fruit on the ground.

Comments (10)

• WannaBGardener
    18 years ago

Must say, I thought you were a "prank" poster, till I did a Google. Dang if it isn't a grape. Sorry I am no help, but did get an education about the Scuppedrnong.

• BDnBAMA
    18 years ago

anaturelover, I have Scuppernong vines & I always lose some before they begin to ripen. I have no idea why but even though some fall there is always plenty at picking time. I have always thought that some were knocked off by the birds. Betty

• anaturelover
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to all the info. on scuppernongs. FYI, it is a muscadine and not a grape like some folks think. I'll not worry about some fruit falling off.

• WannaBGardener
    18 years ago

not to be arguementive, but Google says that Scuppernongs are Muscadine GRAPES. I planted a vine of Muscadine in our Alabama garden and it has leaves like a grape and vines like a grape, and the nursery man sold it to me as a grape. (however it has not produced any fruit yet) Guess it turns out that I have a Scuppernon. LOL

• BDnBAMA
    18 years ago

Thus; Muscadines, known as American wild grapes, are native to the Southeastern United States, and thus well adapted to the warm, humid conditions of the region. The muscadine grape was discovered in America in 1584 by the early English explorer, Sir Walter Raleigh. Later a golden bronze colored muscadine was found along the Scuppernong river in North Carolina and thus was named "scuppernong." Botanically, they differ in significant ways from other grapes and are placed in a separate sub-genus, Muscadinia.

• roblkey
    18 years ago

I think the muscadines are purple & scuppernong are bronze. My great aunt had scuppernongs, I just love them. DO NOT eat them until they are ripe, unless you want to live on the commode.LOL.

Robin

• tedp2
    18 years ago

Wannabe, If your vine has leaves like a grape then it is some other variety of grape. Muscadines and scuppernongs do not have the deeply lobed leaves like most other grapes. They are nearly round with serated edges.

• ribman2bbq
    18 years ago

If you are having lots of muscadines falling off before they are ripe, your vines may need water. If they are water stressed they will drop the fruit first and then the leaves to conserve water for the vine.

• Dave_from_the_Hills
    18 years ago

Thanks for reminding me that I have completely missed out on the Scuppernongs this year at the Farmers Markets!! I need to go get some - I don't know how I could have forgotten them. I can eat them by the gallon. I love the skins, by the way -- I think most people spit them out, but that's my favorite part!

I have a wild scuppernong growing in a tree behind my house, but the fruit are too high to reach. I've tried a few that have fallen on the ground, and they are not as good as the ones at the farmers markets, which are improved varieties.

If you are interested in growing muscadines and/or scuppernongs, Petals from the Past in Jemison was selling several different varieties last year. They also sell the fruit from their own vines so you can try them. Which also reminds me that it's worth a trip down there just to buy some of their muscadines and Japanese Persimmons from their orchards -- far cheaper and far better than those in the grocery stores!

• joepettis_msn_com
    13 years ago

I planted two scuppernongs that someone wanted to dig up and get out of her yard in Montgomery, AL. Have no idea what variety they are. They are sprouting well though. It will be like starting a new vine I guess. I started two root balls and will have a small vine. How can I identify the variety?

Sponsored