Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donvon_gw

Swap 'rules'

donvon
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping to come to my very first fall swap ever but I gotta tell you, I'm a little intimadated. I understand making a list of what you have and what you want, but how exactly does the exchange happen? Do you just walk up to someone and ask if they want to trade? How do you know if what you're trading is of equivalent value or does that matter?

What if I don't have many plants since I've got a brand new house? Do I bring money? Will I be "talked about"? :)

Yes, I am a bit analytical, but I just want to know what to expect when I get there.

Thank you very much!

Yvonne

Comments (9)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Well, 21 religions of the world have some form of the Golden Rule which all comes down to "treat others as you want to be treated". We post our lists of trades and what we are looking for as well. We try to pre-arrange as many trades as possible by browsing everyone's lists. Often we have extra plants which we have grown and want to share with others without a trade. I have given away lots of plants. How do you decide if what you are trading is of equal value --- the golden rule. If there is something you really want but the owner says it is "small", offer to trade something nice for it if you really want it. Set up trades and bring whatever extras you have and someone may be interested in trading for the extras or you can just share them if you want.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I've not been to a swap myself, but I've noted that several of them also welcome non-plant items such a gardening books, containers, etc. So, don't feel intimidated if you don't have a lot of plants to exchange.

• ourhighlandhome
    14 years ago

Yvonne,

I can somewhat understand you being intimidated. I didn't know quite what to expect when attending my first "swap". Here's my advice - ATTEND!! or we WILL talk about you! LOL! You are sure to leave with a boatload of plants. Like Terry said, just show "intent": bring anything, including the kitchen sink. You WILL be met with open arms and meet a circle of close-knit friends who will freely accept you....I promise! I'm already potting you something up for free.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and other "first-timers". You will NOT regret it!

Nelson ;-)

• idig
    14 years ago

I was intimidated at my first trade too, which was just last Fall. What I found were loads of wonderful plant people who sent me home with all the plants my little car could handle!

Make some pre-arranged trades with folks and let them know if it is small or if you can only offer fresh cuttings. No money is "allowed", butyou can bring mushroom compost, mulch, large empty pots, anything really. I felt like one of my Spring trades was really light on my end so I picked up some mushroom compost to add to it.

I am willing to bring almost anything to score some more muscadine jam! My son and I went through my Spring jar in about month, and there is a lot of time between the Fall and Spring swap so I'd better get to looking at what I have to offer in exchange for several jars!

Welcome and look forward to meeting you!

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

Fall swaps are good first swaps since they tend to be a little smaller.

Don't worry about making pre-arranged swaps for your first swap. Just bring any plants, books, pots, birdhouses, etc. that you want to swap. A folding table is also nice to bring.

At the TN swap, we see a plant at someone's table and say "I'd like this plant if there is something at my table you would like" Then the person either says "where's you table?" or "take it, I'll be by later" or "I have too many plants, just take it".

What plants are worth what? Here are some very general guidelines. Potted is preferred to cuttings. A named variety ("Patriot" hosta) is preferred to white and green hosta. A small uncommon plant will trade for more than a big common one. Blooming plants trade better with new gardeners who don't necessarily recognize some plants.

The spring swap in TN is so big that I will often select the smallest pot of a plant just so I can fit things into the truck.

LABEL YOUR PLANTS if you know what they are. Cut up vinyl window blinds work great. Labels can also but cut from yogurt and cottage cheese containers. Masking tape on the side of the pot also works.

Hope this helps!
    Evelyn

• tedevore
    14 years ago

I agree with Terry--its just the golden rule--be nice! and i've met the nicest folks ever here. As you get more stuff to divide, its a relief to give stuff away and not bring as much home!

I took so much stuff back home when I started out with the swaps, I'd get home and have to say "Where I am I going to plant all this stuff?!!" It really helped get started and learn some new plants, but be careful with how much work you bring back!

• donvon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all! I am super excited and have already told my husband that I need him to bring me some dirt to an area on the sunny side of our house where I intend to do a mixed garden of all sorts of plants. Perfect place for trade plants.

I am trying to think of things to bring -- in lieu of having a lot of plants to bring, I think I might bring baked goods for trade!

• catbird
    14 years ago

Bread sounds good! Bring it on. ;-)

• idig
    14 years ago

If you see anything on my list that tickles your fancy, just let me know!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH