Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhighlandhome

Is the Plant Swap dead?

ourhighlandhome
10 years ago

There seems to be little or no interest in the swap anymore. Few people update their exchange page or have anything of interest to trade, few people post to the "food" thread or seem to want to contribute at all in any respect. It's like "pulling teeth" to get peoples interest, and by reading the theads I've counted 8 people who are interested in attending.

I am outspoken at times, and think what you want, but personally I'm tired of caring about this event more than I should. I'm tired of contributing plants, food, money, time and worry to an event that very few people seem truly interested in.

I've invited four new "traders" this Fall, but after reading the posts they are hesitant to commit because of the lack of enthusiasm they see on the board.

Does anyone have an answer as to why we can't interest more folks to attend and contribute a little more? Other plant swaps I'm invited to seem to have great followings. We're in central Alabama and should have tremendous interest. Anyone have an answer or solution to the problem?

Comments (20)

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

I support the idea, but for me, it's too far to go on one of my few precious days off (if I am available) for what I've seen posted. I mostly do edibles and herbs, so my interests just skew in a different direction.

• lsmcw
    10 years ago

Hey, all. I have been missing for a while from this forum due to family situations but am BACK. Please let me know for sure if this swap is on since I haven't been in a few years and miss y'all. I plan to attend, bring lots of plants, and food, and money for the pavilion. Am working on updating my list. Maybe if everyone brings a friend we can expand the group and get new plants. I know, for a while, it seemed like we all had each others plants and no one had anything new. Linda

• plantman71
    10 years ago

No, The swap is not dead. I am back after being sick so long. I always bring enough plants to cover Oak Mt. The fall before I got sick there was myself, Wayne, and Terry at the swap. Things are looking up. The swap is like a mini vacation to me.Believe it or not Nelson the swap would be worth it just to see you. Answer your emails. To me the reason there has not been much posting is because everyone has been waiting on the spark plugs to start firing. You, Susan, and Wayne have been the spark plugs for awnile. Start firing.
    Any traders that are looking for any types of plants, should ask(Like Alabamanicole) I have all types of herbs vegs. and fruits. I grow plants for some landshapers and also sell plants. I can buy most plants wholesale, but like to trade. Some of the other traders also have all types of plants.
    I think we should post, post, post, what we have and what we want on Al. Form. Hasn't been as much new trading since everyone is just posting on their plant page. This has been my two cents.

Tony Plantman71 . .

• lsmcw
    10 years ago

Hey Tony. Nice to hear from you. Linda

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Nelson, I can't attend but I will sure help spread the word! I think a bit of "word of mouth " is all that's needed to trigger some interest. People have the enthusiasm....they just don't know it, yet! :-)

10 years ago

Nelson, I can't attend but I will sure help spread the word! I think a bit of "word of mouth " is all that's needed to trigger some interest. People have the enthusiasm....they just don't know it, yet! :-)

• ginger_s
    10 years ago

I'm new to the Fall swap but plan to attend. I'll be bringing some rooted cuttings but probably not many. I'm having to start over gardening for the second time. I left plants in Georgia when we moved and the people who packed our house dumped ALL of my potted plants into a big pile. My son and his friends noticed plants growing out of the pile and rescued what they could.

I'll bring what I can and I've updated my haves and wants.

I hope to attend the swap for many years to come!

• lsmcw
    10 years ago

Ginger - what kind of Hydrangea do you have? And can you post a pick of "the plant with blue flowers"?

• tedevore
    10 years ago

I still look forward to seeing people at the swap. I can bring more stuff than usual to give away this time (not much room for anything else in my yard now.) half of my plants came from y'all, so I know its more fun to have new people who grow different stuff, but I'll keep coming no matter what.
    I haven't been good about updating my pages...I am just trying to keep up with driving my teenager around to his school activities.

• ginger_s
    10 years ago

I have the regular kind of hydrangea and they bloomed, pink, purple, and blue. They came with the rental house. There are about 8 plants across the front and they were gorgeous.

As for the blue plant, I don't have any pictures. It blooms in late February and likes shade. It's looking kind of sickly right now but I don't remember if it does that in the fall. I'm trying to root some but I'm not sure how it's going to turn out.

• catbird
    10 years ago

Nelson: Don't go gettin' pessimistic yet. ;-) We've had better turnouts the last few times than we were afraid we'd have. If everyone will try to make a point of inviting one person, we'll double the attendance. Kenneth and I are working on getting some of our Master Gardeners and have gotten several to come in the past. Others who've expressed an interest have had conflicts in the past, but hope springs eternal.

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry ya'll, I do let it get under my skin at times. I worry too much about the swap. Prior to last nights posting I received an e-mail from a trader in Pensacola who was hosting the most fabulous plant swap ever, and I wondered why ours couldn't receive more interest. There's another in south-central Tennessee that draws hundreds and has a website.

Some of the best friendships I've made were by attending the CAPS. I'm reminded of the unexpected deaths of Lynn, Terry, Arlene and, especially, Jan, over a very short period of time a couple of years ago. Each time the swap approaches I get a little emotional. I'm slowly learning to deal with that.

I just want it to grow and be successful, and sometimes I worry that the death or disinterest of one more participant will bring it to an end. Again, sorry for the rant, but ya'll know me by now - it's not personal. Heck, I'm even lovable at times ;-D

Catbird, you're right - sometimes I'm a pessimist (and you're being very diplomatic by using that term!). But I am encouraged by the sudden enthusiasm for October the 5th, and look forward to seeing everybody.

• squirrellypete
    10 years ago

Hey guys,

I had hoped to be able to come but things are starting to pick up here on the music front (which is a good thing!) . Unfortunately for my love of gardening, that means my weekends are spoken for and I have to keep others open for some "maybe" events. It's not looking like I will be able to attend. I do look forward to coming back in the Spring though and I hope ya'll have a great time at the Oct. swap.

Sincerely, Danni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

A 6-hour round trip drive is too far for me, or I'd be there. Doubtful I have anything people don't already have, but it would be so great to meet y'all!

• browneyedsusan_gw
    10 years ago

I will be there, of course! I will take inventory tomorrow and update my list.

Susan

• browneyedsusan_gw
    10 years ago

I will be there, of course! I will take inventory tomorrow and update my list.

Susan

• topsiebeezelbub
    10 years ago

Wish you were all up here near Huntsville...to far for me to drive.

• Layne88
    10 years ago

I didn't read about the swap until this month and don't have anything started to bring. Can I still come, contribute to rental fee, see what others bring, talk gardening?

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    10 years ago

better late than never ? Right? I am now working 2 part time jobs and it has been an adjustment. i just realized the swap is next weekend. I will be there. I have a new car, to me,and it will hold plants so I am excited. Now off to the lunch page.... ;-)

10 years ago

Layne, plants aren't the only items that can be traded. Bags of potting soil, mulch, or compost, home baked goods, pkgs. of fresh seeds...use your imagination. Check the food thread to see if you can contribute to the community lunch.

You will be more than welcome even if you don't have plants.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting