Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_trussville

Before / After pics of my backyard

john_trussville
14 years ago

here's a few pics I took of an area that I newly landscaped this year.

Here's what it looked like (the grassy area between the pool & the 8' wood fence) when we first bought the house in Nov 08. Kind of blah...huh?

{{gwi:367195}}

Here's two "work in progress" shots from late March this Spring. I've ripped out the sod & begun planting a few things.....mostly just some small palms & bananas that I brought with me from my previous home in Trussville. We now live in Alabaster.

{{gwi:367196}}

{{gwi:367197}}

And finally here's three shots of what it looks like today. We've had a great growing season this spring/summer & overall I'm pretty pleased at how it turned out. But next spring I plan on removing a few more feet of sod so I can spread things out a little. Want to add more color, also.

{{gwi:367198}}

{{gwi:367199}}

{{gwi:367200}}

Thanks for viewing!

Comments (14)

• ala8south
    14 years ago

Wow! That's awesome! You did a great job. You know, you really want to show people pics like this and ask, "now why the heck would you want to have just a plain grass area there?" It's not like plants are horrendously expensive. You obviously put in alot of work. But folks can make changes in their "landscape", or lack of, that don't cause them to be out working all the time. And what a glorious difference it is to have growing things around!
    Nice job.
    dell

• terramadre
    14 years ago

WOW! A great combo of textures to achieve a lush tropical look.

• catbird
    14 years ago

Add my WOW to the chorus. Great job! Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

• tedevore
    14 years ago

Wow, if I had some more sunny spots, i would love to try some of those plants.
    I see a lot of trees behind--do they have southern or western exposure to the sun?

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ala8south, terremadre, catbird, & tedevore Thanks so much for your kind comments.

tedevore, the planting bed has a southern exposure but still only gets about 6 or 7 hours of direct sun in the summer because of several large trees in neighbor's yards to the east & west.

• haley45
    14 years ago

WOW! You should be proud of what you were able to accomplish in one year! It looks so lush and tropical!

• User
    14 years ago

Fantastic tropical plantings. Very well executed. I wish I had an area by my pool that I could do that but alas no lawn space. I do have a walled garden though which allows me to get away with some things that wouldn't otherwise survive.

What kind of palm and banana do you have that survives the freezes? Thanks for showing such great landscape ideas. Caroline

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

haley45: Thanks for your kind words.

trailrunner: Caroline, yes obviously I go for the tropical look. If a plant doesn't have that exotic, tropical look about it, I usually don't buy it. I'm sure those who like a more structured, well designed landscape think mine looks like an overgrown, out of control mess, but I love the dense, jungle-like appearance. Always room to squeeze in one nore plant..LOL.

The green bananas are Musa 'basjoo' & the one with the reddish tint in the 4th & 5th pic is Ensete 'maurelii'. The basjoos are heavily mulched & left in the ground. The Ensete is cut back, dug & stored bare root in my garage.

The palms are windmill (Trachycarpus fortunei), sabal minor, sabal palmetto, sabal birmingham, needle (Rhapidophyllum hystrix), and pindo (butia capitata), all very hardy here when established.

• drippy
    14 years ago

I like the dense, jungle-like appearance too, John - well done! Grass is an ugly ground cover - your garden is WAY more interesting. That's one very inviting poolside!

• shadowpaige64507
    14 years ago

can we get some more close up pictures? I really like what you have done with it.

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

drippy & shadowpaige; Appreciate your nice comments. I'm kinda surprised there are so many other backyard jungle aficionados around here.

shadowpaige there are a few more pics in my post on the Hardy Palm board. Click the link below. If you have any specific questions about any of the plants, feel free to ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics on the Hardy Palm board

• User
    14 years ago

Thank you John for the info...I will look into what I have room for in my garden. c

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

John, unfortunately the Hardy Palm board link above results in 404 error.

• john_trussville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

love the yard,

Yes, unfortunately there are only two pages on the Hardy Palm Board & every post eventually gets pushed off.

I'll try to add a few more pics here soon.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH