Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Before / After pics of my backyard

Posted by john_trussville z7b AL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 2:59

here's a few pics I took of an area that I newly landscaped this year.

Here's what it looked like (the grassy area between the pool & the 8' wood fence) when we first bought the house in Nov 08. Kind of blah...huh?
september 07 082

Here's two "work in progress" shots from late March this Spring. I've ripped out the sod & begun planting a few things.....mostly just some small palms & bananas that I brought with me from my previous home in Trussville. We now live in Alabaster.
DSCN0288
DSCN0291
And finally here's three shots of what it looks like today. We've had a great growing season this spring/summer & overall I'm pretty pleased at how it turned out. But next spring I plan on removing a few more feet of sod so I can spread things out a little. Want to add more color, also.
DSCN0404
DSCN0400
DSCN0399

Thanks for viewing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before / After pics of my backyard

Wow! That's awesome! You did a great job. You know, you really want to show people pics like this and ask, "now why the heck would you want to have just a plain grass area there?" It's not like plants are horrendously expensive. You obviously put in alot of work. But folks can make changes in their "landscape", or lack of, that don't cause them to be out working all the time. And what a glorious difference it is to have growing things around!
Nice job.
dell

o

WOW! A great combo of textures to achieve a lush tropical look.

o

Add my WOW to the chorus. Great job! Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

o

Wow, if I had some more sunny spots, i would love to try some of those plants.
I see a lot of trees behind--do they have southern or western exposure to the sun?

o

ala8south, terremadre, catbird, & tedevore Thanks so much for your kind comments.

tedevore, the planting bed has a southern exposure but still only gets about 6 or 7 hours of direct sun in the summer because of several large trees in neighbor's yards to the east & west.

o

WOW! You should be proud of what you were able to accomplish in one year! It looks so lush and tropical!

o

Fantastic tropical plantings. Very well executed. I wish I had an area by my pool that I could do that but alas no lawn space. I do have a walled garden though which allows me to get away with some things that wouldn't otherwise survive.

What kind of palm and banana do you have that survives the freezes? Thanks for showing such great landscape ideas. Caroline

o

haley45: Thanks for your kind words.

trailrunner: Caroline, yes obviously I go for the tropical look. If a plant doesn't have that exotic, tropical look about it, I usually don't buy it. I'm sure those who like a more structured, well designed landscape think mine looks like an overgrown, out of control mess, but I love the dense, jungle-like appearance. Always room to squeeze in one nore plant..LOL.

The green bananas are Musa 'basjoo' & the one with the reddish tint in the 4th & 5th pic is Ensete 'maurelii'. The basjoos are heavily mulched & left in the ground. The Ensete is cut back, dug & stored bare root in my garage.

The palms are windmill (Trachycarpus fortunei), sabal minor, sabal palmetto, sabal birmingham, needle (Rhapidophyllum hystrix), and pindo (butia capitata), all very hardy here when established.

o

I like the dense, jungle-like appearance too, John - well done! Grass is an ugly ground cover - your garden is WAY more interesting. That's one very inviting poolside!

o

can we get some more close up pictures? I really like what you have done with it.

o

drippy & shadowpaige; Appreciate your nice comments. I'm kinda surprised there are so many other backyard jungle aficionados around here.

shadowpaige there are a few more pics in my post on the Hardy Palm board. Click the link below. If you have any specific questions about any of the plants, feel free to ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics on the Hardy Palm board

o

Thank you John for the info...I will look into what I have room for in my garden. c

o

John, unfortunately the Hardy Palm board link above results in 404 error.

o

love the yard,

Yes, unfortunately there are only two pages on the Hardy Palm Board & every post eventually gets pushed off.

I'll try to add a few more pics here soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here