Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveofmylife680

fern from Deb ID

loveofmylife680
15 years ago

Can anyone ID this fern from pic.?I received this fern from Deb several years ago. I know this is a long shot but was hoping someone else got some to. I seem to recall her saying it was an Alabama endangered fern she rescued from the side of the road that a road crew was going to mow down. It has a really soft texture if that helps any. Do you think I ought to try and bring some to the swap?

{{gwi:367252}}

{{gwi:367254}}

Back of the fern

{{gwi:367257}}

Comments (17)

• idig
    15 years ago

It looks like Southern Wood fern, Dryopteris normalis, also known as Thelypteris kunthii. I would love some if I can come up with something you want. Shana

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shana, I will go out today and try to dig some up for you. Do you know if it is endangered? From what I read it can get aggressive. Which is fine with me I love it.
    Jill

• idig
    15 years ago

I don't think it is endangered and can be invasive, but is nice for filling in a shady area and does pretty well in mediocre soil usually. I have a couple, but want to fill in a large area quickly so can always use more. Shana

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

What you have looks like Thelypteris torresiana, now Macrothelypteris torresiana. If so, it is not a native but has naturalized in some areas; it is also called Mariana Maiden Fern.

From a Florida website: Bipinnate-Pinnatifid, Bipinnate-Bipinnatifid to Tripinnate Blades, Large, broadly triangular fronds, appearing delicate or "lacy," 2' to 3' in length or more; pinnules with dissected edges, Bases of stems green; petiole and rachis green to yellowish; blade may appear "stepped," with pinnae slightly twisted on the rachis.

• idig
    15 years ago

IDK, could be the other. If you bring it on Saturday I can compare to what I have.

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    15 years ago

idig I will be at the swap in the morning. See you then.
    Jill

• idig
    15 years ago

See you tomorrow! I looked both up and it appears the only real difference in appearance is that kunthii grow more upright and torresiana fans out more froma stalk. They have the same culture requirements and are both somewhat invasive. Shana

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

To me they look fairly different. I have lots of the T. kunthii (it is a great spreader and divides easily).

Will be interested to see what you think when you guys compare what you have today.

• idig
    15 years ago

esh ga,
    It is definitely not T. kunthii. It was the topic of a few conversations at the swap today and several people want one at the spring swap. I plan to try to get to the fern glade at B'ham Botanical Gardens to see if I happen to see it there. Ferns are tough to ID (for me anyway :-) )

Beth,
    Thank you for the fern and for the many plants you gave me today! I love blue hosta and so your babies are much appreciated! Shana :)

• idig
    15 years ago

Sorry, i am still confusing people like I was today!. Jill, thank you for the fern! And thank everyone for your generosity with this plant swap newbie!

• idig
    15 years ago

I think esh_ga is right this fern is Macrothelypteris torresiana.

The pretty variegated fern I got from Beth, I think, appears to be this

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated fern

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shanna,Here is some more info if it is the Macrothelypteris torresiana
    http://bss.sfsu.edu/holzman/courses/fall00projects/swordfern.html
    Let me know what you find out about it. Jill

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info on the comparison!

The East Indian Holly fern is a good performer here in North Georgia. You'll like it. Nice form, evergreen, pretty stripe.

• loveofmylife680
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Please disregard my last post. I copied the wrong one and now I cant find the correct one.
    Jill

• pattig_nc
    9 years ago

Hi All, am wondering what variety of fern this was here when we bought our house 10 years ago and seems to have moved around a bit.Tolerates sun well, but it's sitting in the middle of where I'll be building my pottery studio/potting shed! Hate to move it now, am afraid it will die, but need to get the project going, and if it dies, I'll want to find another one. Thanks so much!

• plantman71
    9 years ago

If you got the fern from Deb. Spradlin, my daughter, it was ID as a Bracken fern.

• debbido4
    9 years ago

If I am the Deb you got that from, it is probably the Bracken Fern. Although I do a lot of native plant rescues which is probably something we were talking about, this particular fern is not endangered.

The second fern may be a cinnamon fern.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville