Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Univ. of AL Spray Extends Gardening Season

tsmith2579
14 years ago

Gardeners all over the country will have a longer growing season this year thanks to research done at the University of Alabama. A liquid spray that raises the freezing temperature of plants and was developed by a scientist and administrator at the University of Alabama is expected to arrive on garden store shelves nationwide within several weeks.

The spray helps boost plants' anti-freeze capability, and makes ice crystals that form in plant tissue less damaging. Application of the spray is good for more than a month, and raises the temperature at which a plant freezes as much as 9.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

"It's like moving your landscape about 200 miles farther south, so it's highly significant," said David Francko (UofA). The product is recommended for use on all fruit, vegetable and ornamental plants.

The spray is initially being marketed to weekend gardeners and businesses such as nurseries, and is for sale at all of the major chains which will have the product on store shelves everywhere shortly.

http://blog.al.com/living-news/2009/09/university_of_alabama_research.html

Have you ever wondered why you can't add a LINK to your original message?

Comments (6)

• donvon
    14 years ago

We took a class with David last year on Palm Trees at Aldridge Gardens and he talked about this treatment. We've been wondering when it will come out and appreciate your posting the information. This will certainly help our pygmy date palm that isn't too happy in Birmingham.

• john_trussville
    14 years ago

I plan on buying a bottle & giving it a try on a couple of cycads that I have in the ground & on a european fan palm that typically burns a little at temps below 18F. May even try to do a side by side treat/no treat comparison on a couple of small bananas to gauge its effectiveness.

After seeing the article saturday I posted a link to it on one of the hardy palm boards that I frequent and while a lot of people seem anxious to buy Dr. Francko's product there is quite a bit of skepticism out there. Most questioned why he hasn't made available more info on the R&D of it, specifically what plants it has been tested on & under what conditions. I heard Dr. Francko speak at Cold Palms Corp. up near Huntsville a few years ago & he seemed very personable & eager to answer any questions about FreezePruf, which at the time was still un-named & under development. So I emailed him last night & asked if he could share any more information on the R&D of the product. We'll see what kind of response I get.

• john_trussville
    14 years ago

Wow, I didn't hardly finish my post above before I rec'd a response from Dr. Francko. In addition to sharing loads of R&D info he told how the reporter for the B'ham News didn't accurately report what he was told via a phone interview.

If anyone is interested in reading I posted everything he sent on the "Hardy Palm & Subtropical Board". There are actually 2 seperate posts. The link below is to the first post.

I hope its not against the rules to post a link here to another message board. Sorry if I'm committing a major crime.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Palm & Subtropical Board

• john_trussville
    14 years ago

here's the direct link to my second post where he comments about the Birmingham News writer:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Palm & Subtropical Board

• shadowpaige64507
    14 years ago

I ordered mine yesterday. I'll try to keep everyone updated with pictures of my results.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

tsmith, maybe you already know this, but you can add a link in an original post. Not on the first screen, however, After you click the first Preview Message button, the first "You may use this form to make corrections" form has the URL boxes. Enter your links there, Preview Message again, and then click Submit.