Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too early for monarchs?

Posted by drippy 7bAL (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 11:42

I have asclepias curassavica blooming (for months), buddleia, Joe Pye weed, marigolds, sunflowers....I haven't seen a single monarch, although loaded with gulf fritillaries and swallowtails. My mother suggested it might be too early for the monarchs - true?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too early for monarchs?

Maybe. http://www.monarchwatch.org/tagmig/peak.html

I saw them in VA last week, though, so they should be arriving soon.

o

Thanks, Nicole - I looked up my latitude on the site you posted, and it says the peak isn't until later this month, so I am hopeful.

o

Last year in Georgia I photographed them the third week of September.

o

I have a large window in our living room with a perfect view of the planting bed in the front of the house. From 'my' chair, I can watch all of the bird and other critter activity all day long, including butterflies. I saw a Monarch yesterday, visiting the angelonia, and zinnias. I'll be watching more closely, now.

o

I thought I saw one the other day, but I definitely saw two today. They are starting to pass through.

And the numbers of hummers at my feeders has been absolutely crazy. They seem to be rolling through town as well.

o

I saw one monarch this week.The hummers are crazy. I have one sitting on top of the feeder gaurding it. First time I have seen that behavior. I work downtown B'ham . Sometime last year ( Fall ) while taking my breaks ( tobacco breaks) outside over a couple days it was like clockwork , every minute or so a butterfly came flying by headed south. I guess they were migrating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here