Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passionflower vines - free

Posted by alabamanicole 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 12:14

Well, the nursery lied. What else is new. My Passiflora incarnata vines turn out to be Passiflora caerulea instead, which is pretty, but not what I wanted. This one is not safe for eating.

If anyone in the Huntsville area wants Passiflora caerulea for purely ornamental purposes, you are welcome to come dig up some roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passionflower vines - free

• Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 23:17

And when they're through at your place, they can bring a backhoe to mine and dig up p. caerulea, 'Blue Bouquet', 'Incense', and the remains of 'Constance Elliott' that have taken over a large area of my yard.

I love passionflowers, but some are much more hardy than advertised.

o

LOL. Yeah, I gave them plenty of space because I knew they'd be monsters. Unfortunately I wanted the native species.

Assuming no one wants any part of them, I am still pondering how best to kill these.

o

Do butterfly caterpillars eat it?

o

Not yet, but I think the Gulf Fritillary is supposed to. I don't think I've seen any of those this year (yet).

o

I'd say yes to the Gulf Fritillary. They are everywhere today, and so are their children.

IMGP2792

IMGP2783

o

Awesome! It might not come back next year if it's too devastated. That's what happened to my Mom's vine. For 5-6 years it was there, getting eaten more and more each year. It didn't show up again this year.

Here's mine yesterday. Being eaten way faster than it can grow.

o

There are cocoons everywhere!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here