Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

4 O'clocks not on time

madabouteu
17 years ago

Since June, my 4 O'Clocks, as far as I can tell, are blooming at 4 AM, not 4 PM. Is anyone else having this problem?

Comments (6)

• lbrazil
    17 years ago

I am in Northeast Mississippi and my four o'clocks are blooming sometime during the night and in full bloom the next morning until about 9 o'clock. I don't have any idea as to what is the reason. Guess like eveything else, all messed up because of this hot dry weather. Larry

• sedgehammer
    17 years ago

Since June, my 4 O'Clocks, as far as I can tell, are blooming at 4 AM, not 4 PM. Is anyone else having this problem?

the early bird gets the worm ?

The ones I have are not opening full until late at night ! Maybe 8 pm. It is odd. Last year they were opening more around 6 o'clock !

Maybe it's "Global Warming" ?

:-/

Nah !

:-)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

When I was a kid, 12-13 y/o, we had lots of 4 o'clocks. We had some planted on the east end of the house, some south and some west. The ones on the east side were also shaded by a large cedar tree. The east plants usually began opening around 5 p.m. and were fully open "by" dark. The ones on the south and west sides were exposed to more light and didn't start to open until later and would be open only "well after" dark. I think the difference was due to the amount of light and shade late in the day.

• lsmcw
    17 years ago

TSmith is correct - on an overcast day they can bloom at any time or all day. It's the light level that triggers the blooms to open. Linda

• dont_in_al
    17 years ago

Well Ive noticed the same thing hapening in my yard. I'm a deck person and can see the 4 O'clocks from there. In the morning they are beautiful but just before dark, nothing is going on. My wife says they are duds. When I was growing up my grandmother had a lot of them. They were giganic and lived between her house and the next door neighbors (hardly any sun). I use to gather the seeds and plant them everywhere and they were giganic and georgus also (my mother hated them). I have never been able to recreate these plants.The only deference in mine and my grandmothers is the color. Mine are a bright yellow....

• terramadre
    17 years ago

Blooming at 4:00 pm, Sunday, Sept. 24
    Weather/light conditions: it just stopped raining/heavy cloud cover.........
    click on the thumbnail for a larger imgage
    {{gwi:367341}}Â Â
    {{gwi:367342}}Â Â

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists