Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbird_gw

Killing grass in beds; killing nutgrass anywhere

catbird
15 years ago

At lunch after the swap we were talking about the nuisance of Bermuda grass [Grrr >:-( ] growing in beds and shrubbery. I promised Jill that I'd post what I have learned about getting rid of it, so here it is:

There are several grass-selective herbicides on the market that will kill grass without taking out the ornamentals it's growing through. If Home Depot and Lowes don't have them, you can find them at farm supply stores. The one I have used is Poast (now called Grassgetter) and I'm only half joking when I say it has saved my marriage! The DH loves Bermuda and I HATE it in the perenniel border. Here are links to more information:

Grassgetter

Envoy

Fulisade

Nutgrass is another story. It's actually a sedge and is not killed by the grass-specific herbicides. As most of us have learned from experience, pulling it or using Roundup gets rid of the plant and the root, but not the "nuts" at the tips of the roots. Thank goodness, there are sedge-specific herbicides, too. Here are links to information about a couple of these:

Sedgehammer

Image Nutsedge Killer

Hope this will help others, too.

Alice

Comments (2)