Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Hedge Bushes

Posted by jsuua North AL (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 6, 08 at 13:58

I just bought a patio home on a small lot, which I thought was going to be "low maintenance":-) In reality, the large hedge bushes surrounding the lot that looked great when I bought in early spring are now a maintenance nightmare. I was wondering if anyone could help me i.d. this species of shrub and let me know if they have a ceiling. Will they just grow like Jack's beanstalk until I cut them down? They are very bushy unless clipped frequently (semi-daily) and have a pale green leaf with a white, almost frost-like consistency on the surface of the leaf. They have the ability to send off shooting limbs with freakish speed (i'm talking an inch a day). Any help or advice is welcome. I'm ready to rev up the chainsaws and reclaim this yard! BTW...they are also around the house, which was clearly a great choice by the previous owner:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Hedge Bushes

I don't know what they may be but it sounds like you are not happy with them at all. They have all the characteristics you definitely don't like. I suggest a chainsaw and Round-Up Brush killer. Cut a few feet of the row as close to the ground as possible and spray the fresh wounds with Round-up BRUSH killer. Cut some more and spray some more. You want the Round-Up to be sprayed on the freshly cut stems. Do it on a warm day (over 80 degrees) when the threat of rain is minimal.

o

o

Sounds like the one I have, it was here also when we bought the place. Is this it? I think it is in the privet family. I can't get rid of this stuff. It would be pretty if it just didnt take over.
Jill
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 21:13

Elaeagnus pungens is exactly what came to my mind. I need my head examined for planting a 100-ft. row of this stuff years ago. Granted, it has it's good points, one of which is it's powerful fragrance in fall. But it can quickly get away from you without constant pruning and become an unmanageable 12-ft.-tall beast. Good luck!

Nelson

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here