Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadow_lark

Concord grapes in NE Alabama (Huntsville)

meadow_lark
17 years ago

Has anyone tried growing Concord grapes in NE Alabama? They are in season now... I love them so much, I eat 1 - 2 pints a day! (NO, I'm not kidding.) At $4 a pack, I'm going broke. I'd like to try growing them (as I am blowing my retirment saving on grapes at this point).

I contacted Stark Brothers, and they said they'll grow here, and the I should plant them in the fall.

I'm not sure about sun and water needs... and I thought that Concords need COLD winter weather.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks... Meadow Lark

Comments (7)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Meadow Lark, when I was a kid I bought some Concord grapes and planted them at my parents house outside of Birmingham. They made lots of grapes but the birds always got them before we could. I bought them at Sear's nursery in Birmingham before I finished high school in 1966. Give them a try.

• decolady01
    17 years ago

Meadow Lark, did you decide to plant Concords? I'm interested in planting those, too.

Becky

• tedposey
    17 years ago

Concords are the most often grown grape in the country and will grow anywhere they get enough moisture which is all over the Southeast. Probably the best place for you to get the plants is Arab Nursery about 10-15 miles down Hwy 231 from H'ville. You can plant them anytime from now till the spring sprout. Water them when you first plant them to settle the soil around the roots good,but they will probably get enough rainfall from then on. If we have a long dry spell next summer they will need additional water.

Have you tried our native grape the muscadine? Or scuppernong? To me they are even sweeter and more flavorful than concords. Try them before you plant them. You can usually find them, the fruit that is, in the farmers markets in late August and all of September.

• decolady01
    17 years ago

I have several varieties of scuppernongs and muscadines. This was my first year to get any produce - about 2 dozen or so. I also have some seedless red and white grapes. Just wanted to try some Concords, too.

Becky

• decolady01
    17 years ago

Forgot to say, thanks for the tip about the Arab Nursery. I hope to get down there this week.

Becky

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Meadowlark, did you contact the extention office about this? Ken Creel would steer you in the right direction, if he hasn't already done so. 532-1578 is the main office number.

When Robert and I were house shopping a couple of years ago, one of the homes we looked at had Concords growing over an arbor at the back patio. They certainly didn't add to the value of the property (yikes) but I believe the house had been empty for awhile.

Dorie

• raye01
    13 years ago

I am successfully growing various muscadines in lower Alabama;and branching out this year trying the concord grape. (My father said they don't grow down here.)Have any of you had success with the concord grape in South Alabama?