Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering

Posted by luv-todig 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 15:01

I have several container gardens. The planters are plastic, they contain Mexican Petunia, Black Magic, Illustris, Colocasia,regEE's, purple queen and cone flowers. Right now, with the weather breaking, they are beautiful. How do I keep them over the winter? I have a carport and shed only. Not sure of which side of the house is west (i.e. do I stand in the front or the back?) Also, can I leave the Black Magic, Illustris and Colocais, planted in the yard over the winter? If I need to dig them up, what do I do with them? Thanks for any advice.

Luv-todig

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering

Last week was the autumnal equinox so right not the sunrise is almost due EAST and sunset is almost due WEST. If you face the sunset, your right side will point North and your left side will point South. If you want to over-winter them outside, you will need to put them on the south side where the winter sun shines from low in the southern sky. I would not leave them in pots. In pots the roots are above ground and will freeze easier than if the plants are in the ground. As for hardiness, the EEs and cone flowers should overwinter in the ground without a problem. You may want to mulch them with leaves for added protection. Here is a link about the Mex. petunia that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mex Petunia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here