Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamatufa

advice wintering banana's in ctl al

Bamatufa
16 years ago

What is recommended to winter banana plants in Central Alabama ? Most advice seems to be related to colder climates. I have one Raja Puri in ground and well established and two Basjoo Musa in 5gal pots purchased mid summer and waiting on 2008 spring to plant in ground.

Comments (6)

• birdlady_10
    16 years ago

On the Raja Puri I would surround it with a cage of chicken wire & fill it with leaves-at least to 3 ft high.Then cover the cage with plastic.You could sink the Musa Basjoo in the ground still in the pots & treat the same way or you could put them in a frost free area till spring if you don't have a greenhouse.Hope this helps.

• fairiesgardenfancy
    16 years ago

I Cover Mine With Plastic And I Remover It When I Know The Danger Of Frost Is Gone, On The Others You Can Do Like Birdlady Said Plant In Ground And Cover
    , Or If Not To Big Take In House,

• bricore_2007
    16 years ago

I am sorry if I sound silly but do you get banannas off your tree yet? The reason why I ask is because I am getting ready to move to Centeral Alabama and I had no clue that they would grow there. I am just wondering if the fruit would grow or if this was more for looks like some of our pear trees here in Ohio (we do grow pears but there are some trees that are just for looks.)

Thanks,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Here is a link that might be useful: y-2k hippie

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Most bananas require a certain number of days to produce a bloom which is usually longer than our outdoor growing season. The winter of 2005-2006 was mild and a small protected pup bloomed in October 2006. This happens occasionally, about every 10 years or so in the Birmigham area. You can get bananas if you have a greenhouse or a way to overwinter the trees inside. Jan (Birdlady) gave good advice. I cut down my trees after the first frost, put a wire "fence" around the stumps and mulch heavily. Some stumps resprout and many pups emerge in spring.

• goldhillal
    16 years ago

I live in Chambers County in east central Al. When I first got my start of bananas I was told to plant them 18 inches deep, which I did although I thought that was a little excessive. Two others received plants at the same time as I did but I was the only one who followed the advice. I was also the only one who had their plant survive. I have had flowers in most of the 10 years I've had them and occassionally some bananas about an inch long. I never mulch or cut the stalks. When frost cuts the stalks, I leave that in place for mulch for the winter. I believe that after the first year the plants find their own level in the ground, as they certainly are not at 18 inches anymore. The height is proportional to the amount of water they receive and this year mine were pretty short and did not bloom. Over the years that I have grown them, they are gradually spreading out from the center which is now vacant.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice ! I'm new to growing bananas. My in ground Raja has about an 8 inch truck. Its staying in the ground but my potted Musa's are small which I can move indoors.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm